MIDNIGHT OIL... Beds are Burning One Last Time


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Orange
June 26th 2022
Published: June 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

There we were in a taxi in Buenos Aires looking out the window as we do. Then I started screaming...well not quite screaming...but I was leaning forward begging the driver...louder than he was probably used to. It's not as if one of the front wheels was coming off like that time in Beijing...nor like the taxi overtaking around blind wet mud corners in Zigong. Nor the tone I screamed at the sold... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement













26th June 2022

Music & Memories
We couldn't agree more .... specific music will always remind us of our travels and moments in time. The Other Half dancing on the table in Melankas in Alice Springs to Whatever, Whenever by Shakira, an air conditioned in Tom Price with A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton on loop and New Zealand will forever be "Listening For The Weather" by Bic Runga or any track by Goldenhorse.
27th June 2022

Music & Memories
Glad my blog brings back musical memories of your travels in Oz, John. Loved the mention of dancing on tables...ours was at Eagle's Nest in the Snowy Mountains in sthn NSW. To travel and share music with locals their way is the easiest way to connect we find. Thanks for commenting.
27th June 2022

Burning Oil
Dancing One....there you were, amongst the aging population in white plastic chairs, yearning for yet one more glimpse of an iconic band.....good for you! As we get older, the more we crave live music and with the pandemic moving to an endemic sort of thing, all the artists are out there again....most excellent! - The Dangerous One
27th June 2022

Burning Oil
Bring it on Dangerous One. We live at opposite ends of the planet but we have embraced the Blues together in the Caribbean and you know what my blog is talking about. We planned for years to meet at a music festival somewhere in the World and that is where it ended up being. We have talked of getting the band back together at Blues on the River in Senegal and/or the Blues Highway. Let us make it happen again somewhere as live music is definitely back.
27th June 2022

Midnight Oil, nice!
Great band, jealous you got to see them Dave! Saw them for the first time on the Diesel and Dust tour a million years ago, still reference that show as one of my favourites of all time...cheers!
29th June 2022

Midnight Oil, nice!
Diesel and Dust Tour, Jeff...oooh...whose the most jealous??? A pivotal Oils' album from 1987...:'Beds are Burning', 'The Dead Heart', 'Dreamworld' and 'Put Down that Weapon' are amazing songs from that album. In what country and city did you see that concert? Hope the video brought it all back!
30th June 2022

Midnight Oil, nice!
Caught them in Ottawa Canada (my hometown) three times, once with Hunters & Collectors who provided all those amazing horns for the Oil set as well...video brought back great memories, those three opening horn shots stop me in my tracks every time!
10th July 2022

Ottawa Midnight Oil, nice!
Three times in Ottawa Jeff...that shows lashes of 'Power and the Passion'...also one of my favourite Oils classics. Your comment brings back such fabulous memories of the power of their gigs...and the horn/sax solos...can feel them now!
30th June 2022

Music, the great reminder
Heard the great Pink Floyd’s “Us and Them” booming out of an Irish (?) pub in Old Quebec last night. I concur that music is indeed a great memory jogger!
10th July 2022

Music, the great reminder
Pink Floyd in an Irish pub in Quebec...how good is that Dave? Denise wants "Great gig in the sky" played at her funeral (no time soon)!!! Whenever we hear Leonard Cohen it takes us back to the icy ancient city of Pingyao one winter in Nthn China thinking "What have I got us into?" when his "Ten New Songs" started playing that made the experience of our location even more surreal. Music to us too, is indeed the great reminder. Keep following the groove and serendipity surely awaits you!
24th July 2022
Midnight Oil

Sadly I won't see Midnight Oil this tour (or ever again)
Midnight Oil had a short European leg on this, their supposedly last tour ever. But I was not able to see any of their shows and therefore I probably won't ever see them again. I saw them in the 90-ies though, on their Blue Sky Mining tour. When they played in Gothenburg, where I saw them, I was at the very front. The protective fence at the front was a bit oddly contructed as it large metal plates covering the front. When hitting them with our flat hands these plates essentially worked like huge drums. When the main show was over and we waited on the encore we at the front banged these plates as hard as we could. We beat a steady rythm while 10,000 people behind us to this rythm were chanting "MIDNIGHT OIL, MIDNIGHT OIL, MIDNIGHT OIL...". That was totally wild! /Ake
6th August 2022
Midnight Oil

Sadly I won't see Midnight Oil this tour (or ever again)
Banging that fence like a drum Ake brings back great images and memories for me also, but you being front row in Gothenburg for the Oils surely couldn't get better than that. We often get to front row at festivals knowing it may require a lengthy wait and the sound may not quite be the best clarity. But its the experience we attend for, so up the front we venture where pulsating beats can vibrate the chest, smash our eardrums and sweat and excitement bring ecstasy and memories that endure. Great to hear your story Ake. May the music transport you wherever you go.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb