end of week one


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Manly
July 28th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The first nightThe first nightThe first night

the perfect cosmopolitan
Coming to the end of our first week in Sydney. Have spent a hectic few days sightseeing and am now taking some down time in Manly whilst the sun shines. It is a beautiful day.

Yesterday we had a glorious day out in the Blue Mountains, stopping off at a wildlife sanctuary to pet koalas and feed kangaroos. I know they are wild animals, but its hard to resist doing the tourist thing. Even saw a Tasmanian Deveil - which was a maniac. Then took a bush walk down into one of the valleys, during which our guide thoughtfully pointed out the nest of a funnel web spider. Having dealt with my arachanphobia, we then had to cope with Nicky's vertigo when faced with the train ride back up the hill - a backwards ascent up the steepest rail track in the world - a 1 in 27 climb or 52 degrees from vertical. Breathtaking. We recovered with a wine tasting at a lovely little place called Tizzana.

Off to the opera tonight to see Turandot and then we travel on to Prosperine. love emma

Breathtaking as in sheer, visceral terror! I was terrified even with my eyes
Nicky and the opera houseNicky and the opera houseNicky and the opera house

I've only slept for 8 hours in the last 36 and still smiling
shut and it was the first time I've prayed in years. I'd suggest walking back up the gorge (exercise is good for you!) before the train. Only recommended for the foolish. Manly is exactly as Australia should be - 6 km of surf crashing onto the beach, lots of cafes in which to chill out and plenty of fit surfers to beguile the eye while drinking lattes (or sauvignon blanc, as you prefer). Highly recommended.

Tomorrow we're heading for the Whitsunday Islands, for more beaches, along with sailing and whale watching. I am determined to persuade Emma that it is possible to spend more than 24 hours without to-do lists or itineraries and that relaxing means doing very little for hours and hours. ( I am sooo lazy when left to my own devices on holiday). We will try to put the advice at the Botanical Gardens - walk on the grass, hug the trees, smell the roses into action. Having just bought tickets for the All Blacks/ Wallabies match, I have three weeks to teach her proper appreciation of rugby. Wish me luck and watch this space..... Nicky.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Manly coveManly cove
Manly cove

See what I mean? Most beguiling view in Sydney.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb