Shellharbour to Jervis Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Huskisson
March 8th 2013
Published: March 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Cathedral RocksCathedral RocksCathedral Rocks

Kiama downs. Like many attractions in this area, they are not well signposted. This one, you could miss even if you drive past.
Friday 8th, and we say farewell to Shellharbour and head south through Kiama down to Huskisson on Jervis Bay. Clearly Shellharbour was sad to see us leave and sprinkled a few tears until we reached the edge of town.

We could have spent another night either at Shellharbour or Kiama except accomodation was hard to come by due to the annual Jazz and Blues festival. Seems every man and his cattle dog was headed there, and why not? All the shows are for free.

Our first planned stop was Kiama, and a great lookout down the coast at Mt Pleasant, a few Ks south overlooking Werri Bay.

At Kiama, we were hoping to see Cathedral rocks, The Kiama Blow Hole and the Kiama Lighthouse. The sea was relatively calm, so we hired a row boat and invited 'Julia G' to go to the cave entrance and make a speach thinking the hot air would have done the job. Well, she declined, and David added that our exercise would be fruitless as the speach would require major substance to stir up the sea. So we have a photo of the hole with water sparkling below, and heard a couple
Kiama BlowholeKiama BlowholeKiama Blowhole

You can only imagine!! We visited a similar blow hole in NZ on the West Coast which is the most reliable, so they say. Struck calm days, no swell on three occassions. Our luck hasn't changed.
of Woofs as waves came in and produced a little mist. Fortunately the Light House was persuaded to stand still for us while we took the obligatory group photo.

After a short cuppa stop, we proceded south down the coast roads as much as possible through seven mile beach, Nowra and on to Huskisson.

Marg and I were keen to see the maritime museum there for a couple of reasons. There is an interesting memorial display of HMAS Sydney cutting its support cruiser in half. Many lives were lost in this tragic peace time accident. The history of Jervis bay is loaded with ship wreck history from sailing ship days. The museum is a good place to start learning of the settler history.

There is also a semi restored Sydney Harbour Ferry - The Lady Denman. This ferry served Sydneysiders for many years after she was built in Huskisson. There is an excellent model of the original slipway and ship shed with a hull constructed of the Lady Denman.

There are hundreds of interesting exhibits in this museum, one was a sign which I was a little late to see.

Entry fee to the museum
Kaiama Lighthouse.Kaiama Lighthouse.Kaiama Lighthouse.

David stopping the light house wandering off as we readied for a group photo.
is reasonable, and value for money. We headed around the foreshore for Lunch and then rejoined the Pacific Highway and set up in a rest area for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Kiama CrabsKiama Crabs
Kiama Crabs

These too small to eat crabs put on a show in place of the blow hole. Very community minded of them.
Kiama SkinksKiama Skinks
Kiama Skinks

These attractive fellows also posed for tourists.
Mt Pleasant Lookout2Mt Pleasant Lookout2
Mt Pleasant Lookout2

Which angle do you like the best.
Tornado smashed treeTornado smashed tree
Tornado smashed tree

A strip about 500meters wide was smashed by a tornado about the same time as we sat out the weather at Coffs Harbour.
The Lady DenmanThe Lady Denman
The Lady Denman

This Sydney ferry was built in Huskisson, Jervis Bay. Named after the wife of the Gov.General
Tradgedy at seaTradgedy at sea
Tradgedy at sea

An artists impression.
HuskissonHuskisson
Huskisson

Rocky outcrop


8th March 2013

Great blog
Hi Travellers, We are enjoying your blog it is like being there in some ways. Great photos keep them coming. Us 2 Stayathomers

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb