Huskisson NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Huskisson
March 14th 2023
Published: March 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Huskisson was just a short drive down the coast, which we planned to use as a base to explore the Jervis Bay area. The Jervis Bay area was home to the Wandandian aboriginal tribe and experienced its first white settlers around 1840. Huskisson is bounded by Currambene Creek in the north, Moona Moona Creek in the south, the Jervis Bay shoreline and its beaches in the east, and Jervis Bay National Park in the west.

Jervis Bay is home to HMAS Creswell, the naval college. It was decided in 1915 that Canberra, as our nation’s capital, needed a port, and the closest body of water was at Jervis Bay, which was dutifully handed over by the NSW government. So when you visit Jervis Bay, you are actually in the ACT.

One of our first drives was to visit the famous white sands of Hyams Beach, which according to the Guinness Book of Records, has the whitest sand in the world. Having visited Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays recently, and Lake Mackenzie on Fraser Island some years back, we would rate Hyams Beach as having the third whitest sand in the world. Still a beautiful beach, but just not number one. It has though made the list of one of the world's best beaches several times.

Swimming and snorkeling was the high priority in the clear clean waters of Jervis Bay, and Shark Net Bay and Huskisson Beach were the closest beaches to our caravan park. The water was exceptional, both in temperature and in clarity, and fish and dolphins abound in the waters of the bay. We met up with Kim’s sister in law Mary, and her three children, Hayden, Emma and Sam, and enjoyed a picnic dinner at Plantation Point. It has been a few years since we have seen them, and it was great to see them all doing well.

We also met up with our friends, Tracey and David, who stayed in the same caravan park at Huskisson. We had a day out with them exploring Booderee National Park, stopping off to walk to Green Patch, Iluka, Murrays Beach, Hole in the Wall and the ruins of Cape St George Lighthouse. Fish and chips from Huskisson capped off a great day.

The next day we visited Kim’s Aunt Robyn, and had lunch at her villa, and spent the afternoon catching up and discussing family tree information. Having not had a walk that day, when we arrived back at the caravan park, we walked 4.3 kms along the beach, crossing Moona Moona Creek at low tide. Have to keep our steps goal up.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 9; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb