Gerringong NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Gerringong
March 9th 2023
Published: March 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Just a short drive down to the coast to Gerringong, where we checked in to Werri Beach Tourist Park. The first Europeans working in the area were red cedar cutters, who were first recorded as having visited and logged in the area in 1814. The cleared land was used for dairy farming and cedar cutting died out, as the cedar trees disappeared. Dairy farming became the predominant primary industry and remains so to this day. The rolling hills in the area are typical of rich coastal dairy country down the South Coast of NSW. Gerringong was the home of the mighty Mick Cronin (Parramatta Eels), Sally Fitzgibbon (Surfer), the Sims brothers Ashton, Korbin and Tariq (St George Dragons) and Rod Wishart (St George Dragons).

We drove to the local shops to find somewhere to eat lunch, and settled on the Perfect Break, a vegetarian café which had been recommended to us. It did not disappoint. After lunch, it was a short walk to the rock pools and the beach for a cooling off swim.

The next morning we drove to Gerroa to look at Crooked River and Seven Mile Beach. Gerroa would also be a good place to stay, although very few shops are located there. On the drive back to Gerringong, we saw a sign stating Boat Harbour, so we followed the directions and ended up at this quiet protected bay, with the best ocean pool you could want. We swam in the ocean pool and the bay for the rest of the day. The following day we spent the day again at Boat Harbour, and swam with three sting rays, one quite large.

We drove to Berry the following day, and enjoyed walking through this historical town, stopping off for morning tea. The afternoon we spent swimming back at Boat Harbour.

On our final day in Gerringong, we selected the Sea Vista Café for lunch. What a lunch and what a view. Highly recommend to anyone passing through. Then one final swim at Boat Harbour, clearly our favourite swimming spot in the area. We would definitely stay again at Gerringong.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.4s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb