It could only happen to Caroline


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Eastern Creek
December 17th 2008
Published: December 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Helen and RobinHelen and RobinHelen and Robin

This is the couple that own and manage the Craigieburn Camp Site. Lovely couple have been married 34 years. They invited us up for a coffee and chat.
Hurrah, we woke up late this morning, perhaps the daylight saving time had something to do with it. It was 8.00 am before I got out of bed. It was a cold night, Robin said 6 degree’s Centigrade, but now looking at the sky outside we are set for another nice day.

We have decided to stay here for another night, just to relax a bit, see the area and catch up on a few chores. There is no Starbucks for our internet access but the campsite owners have kindly allowed us to log on using their own internet connection in the office. The kindness of some Australians is amazing.

As much as I love the camper trailer that we have, I look around the site and remember the camper vans (RV’s) that we have had in the past and how easy it is when you pull into a site and all you have to do is hook up to electricity then put chairs outside and within minutes you are sat down drinking tea. It is now taking us only about 10 minutes to put up the main tent and a little bit longer for the awning. The time
Blue Tongue LizardBlue Tongue LizardBlue Tongue Lizard

This little chap, used to sneak out on the rocks above his little house and bask in the sun.
is taken when you want to put the side walls up on the awning. But then Andy is also a perfectionist and has to keep adjusting and making sure that the creases are out, the roof of the awning is aligned and so on, at least in his perfectionist pursuits, he always makes sure the water is topped up and we have our bottles ready in the truck, we are always safe and fed.

We enjoy being at Craigieburn camp site, here in Glen Innes, Robin and Helen are really helpful and nice. Yesterday it was their 34th wedding anniversary and have owned the camp site for 16 months when they came up from Queensland, they have 3 Children and one of them is 2nd officer on Jumbo Jets for Qantas.

Incidentally Glen Innes is a Gem county and Caroline wanted to do some fossicking, Robin said the creek had had reports of snakes, such as Tiger, Eastern-brown and black snakes so be very wary and would suggest that if Caroline wanted to pursue such an afternoons entertainment then he had a large pile of creek soil she could quite happily sift through.

Caroline took the patrol
Does My Bum Look Big Doing This?Does My Bum Look Big Doing This?Does My Bum Look Big Doing This?

This is me fossicking.
in to town to get some provisions, while I messed about with bits and pieces. She came back after and 1 ½ hrs with some provisions, a gold panning pan and a cooking sieve, which she proclaimed she would use for her fossicking.

Well it was only $9.00 she proclaimed, compared to the $60.00 bucks for the real McCoy (That’s my girl)

Our camper trailer Is parked next to the electricity supply we use to power our evakool fridge and the water tap. I was sitting listening to Led Zeppelin and typing the blog when suddenly all hell was let loose and Caroline was getting covered in water. The water tap she said had been dripping, then decided she wanted it to stop (thinking that she had not turned it off properly, so as soon as her hands grabbed hold of the handle, the same thing happens as always, it’s had the touch of Caroline, it broke and water is just pouring out of one of the 4 taps.

Caroline is concerned that we will be water logged and I am concerned that water is being wasted, a commodity that is very scarce in Australia, so she
Glen Innes Glen Innes Glen Innes

This rocky outcrop is in our campsite at Craigieburn, 40 acres of grounds
wanders off to see Robin whilst I try to collect as much of the water that is pouring out, I have put a spanner on it to slow it down.

Typically Robin has a couple of campers turn up so he has to give them priority, then comes over in his truck then goes down the field to isolate the water supply then comes back with his tools to make a repair. Caroline is looking suitably embarrassed, she shouldn’t be let out on her own without supervision.

Earlier this afternoon we have had a call from Australia zoo thanking us for the time we afforded them when we went to see them and give them our feedback. As we had finished our zoo volunteering 2 days early and I was gutted that I didn’t get to work with the Wombats, they have very kindly invited us back to the zoo as guests and to have a Wombat experience.(Naughty Wombats) Check it out at www.australiazoo.com.au.

The tap is now fixed and Caroline sieve in hand wants to go fossicking, after finishing putting the “tea kit” together.
We get back, after her fossicking session, all fossicked out and break
Craigieburn CampsiteCraigieburn CampsiteCraigieburn Campsite

Well wort a visit and a wander around the grounds but look out for the snakes!!
open our newly constructed tea kit, this has arisen from the fact that we keep the Whisperlite mountaineering stove in the truck, mugs and spoons in one box and the tea bags in another all under the trailer cover. So we decided to put the kit together so we can just break out and brew up (simple).
We have already had to break out the Bushman mozzy spray as the pesky critters are already biting.
It’s been a great day, just kicking back and having a bit of easy fun, its great to see Caroline look so well and full of life.

This evening Robin had said that a lady had arrived on the site who was travelling alone as her husband had passed away, so we we were in the process of cooking a chilly, Caroline went and asked her if she would like to join us.
Her name was Ruth Brunsdon and she was travelling Australia in her new Mercedes Camper, that had virtually everything you could ever want, Satalite Phone, UHF Radio, Sloar Heating, sat Nav.
Amyway Ruth stayed with us for a chat only, as she had eaten and we bid her a safe and
Fossicking Girl (Mmm Diamonds?)Fossicking Girl (Mmm Diamonds?)Fossicking Girl (Mmm Diamonds?)

Well you know me, I can sniff a diamond out from a hundred paces. Actually this area contains sapphire, crystal, Zircon.
happy onward journey.

Until next time bloggers.

Andy & Caroline


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

FossickingFossicking
Fossicking

This is fossicking with my home made kit. A kitchen sieve and a gold pan.
Tea KitTea Kit
Tea Kit

This is the Tea Kit that we put together to ensure that wherever we are and no matter what time it is we have all the gear to have a brew.
FlowerFlower
Flower

For those of you interested in flowers.
Another FlowerAnother Flower
Another Flower

I have no idea what this one is - Have not had time to research it as yet.
Glen Innes StonesGlen Innes Stones
Glen Innes Stones

The Australian Stonehenge.
Glen Innes StonesGlen Innes Stones
Glen Innes Stones

These stones are in Glenn Innes. Not quite stonehenge, but the idea is the same.


20th December 2008

Beautiful
Caroline you look beautiful, relaxed and very happy. We can see that Andy too looks relaxed, brown and happy, we won't say beautiful, lol. We have some of the blue flowers in our garden which are called Agapanthus. How lovely to see them growing in the wild. The photos of the animals and birds are great.....keep them coming. Love Mum and Dad x
21st December 2008

Relaxed
I didn't look so relaxed when the water was gushing out of the tap!! We both feel well, relaxed and enjoying Australia. It is very different and feels weird that it is christmas. The house that we are now staying in has a christmas tree which is nice. Will be around on skype over chistmas. C xx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb