Albury/Dubbo/Bathurst/Canberra/Myrtleford


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Dubbo
April 11th 2021
Published: April 11th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 (8/4/21)Temps: Max 27C, Min 15C

Waited in the van all day, not knowing when the auto electrician might get here. Went in the heated pool mid afternoon, enjoying the relief from the warm temperatures.

Put a marinated Pork roast in the Weber at 330, then received a call from the auto electrician saying he would arrive in 20 minutes. It took him from 420 to 530 to swap the chargers over & solder the wires in.

In the meantime, the roast pork, potatoes & carrots were all over cooked. It was too dark to test the charger, but switched to battery overnight & would wait for the sun to come up in the morning.



Day 6 (9/4/2021)Temps: Max 23C, Min 9C

Woke up to light rain & dark clouds. After a while the sun came out & the solar started feeding into the batteries.

Went for a drive, picking up fuel on the way to the Hume Weir. Built between 1919 & 1936 using over 1,000 workers who were paid the equivalent of $5.00 for a 48 hour week. Of those workers, 9 died.

The original dam capacity was 1522 gigalitres, but between 1950 & 1961 further construction saw the capacity increase to 3038 gigalitres.

A hydro electric power station was built in 1957. The dam has a shoreline of 400 kilometres, while the dam wall is 1,615 metres long & 51 metres high.

On the way back I bought a NSW Fishing Licence. Started packing up the van ready for leaving early in the morning for trip to Dubbo.

Had Pork Chops for an early dinner, then into bed early to get a good nights sleep.

Day 7 (10/4/21)Temps: Max 20C, Min 9C

Left Albury at 330AM. Got several kilometres down the Wagga Road before it had closed signs everywhere. Had to turn around & go back into Albury & divert onto the Hume Freeway.

As if that was not a great start, about 100 kilometres down the road I realised that we did not removed the wheel chocks from under the caravan. Kept driving & stopped in West Wyalong at 800AM for breakfast. Drove a little further until 900AM & rang the Albury Caravan Park asking them to pick up & put aside our wheel chocks which we will pick up in 3 weeks time on the way home.

Went to visit The Dish at the Parkes CSIRO on the way to Dubbo. The dish was used in the Apollo 11 moon landing in July 1969. It has a diameter of 64 metres & weighs 1000 tonnes. A 360 degree rotation takes 15 minutes.

We then continued onto Dubbo, arriving at 100PM. Reversing in the van was a challenge as the caravan park was full & kids everywhere. On the 2nd attempt we were in perfectly. Set up the van, then went to pick up some necessities from the supermarket.

Dinner was Lamb chops & wedges.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb