Dinner with Friends


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coonabarabran
January 18th 2009
Published: January 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 72

Coonabarabran was a little jewel in this trip; it was a smashing little town that we really enjoyed. I have to say that the night star gazing, with Peter Starr was a memorable moment in my existence on the planet.

The small campsite we were on “The John Oxley” was just great it all seemed to gel together.

We had met 3 guys who were contractors (Riggers) working on huge mast for Vodafone, who are not really a big player over here, but they are increasing the network coverage. We had got taking to Peter, who was the site supervisor, a nice pleasant man, he was always good to talk to. His other site mates were Phil and Tim, two equally pleasant fella’s who we whiled away some time with. They were good enough to share a JD and coke when they were drinking even though we had no alcohol to bring to the table. Pete said those immortal words “Australian Hospitality” and dished out a bottle each.

Tim had this well kitted out Nissan Navara, which he and Phil used to travel around in. In his truck he has UHF, VHF, HF and with this set up he could talk to virtually anyone anywhere who was also kitted out with the same equipment. They cover massive distances. The two of them lived around Melbourne and Peter lived around Canberra. They just travel at the behest of Vodafone, doing stuff on the aerial network.

We had packed the trailer and set off just after 10.00 am, on route to the Warrumbungle National park, where we wanted to stay tonight. At the information box we filled out our car details, paid the correct fee’s and drove in to camp Blackwood.

We drove around, once to scope it out, and as we drove past someone else’s camp we noticed a Kangaroo was already having a nose around, obviously scavenging for food.

We obviously had the trailer with us but we decided to sleep in the swag tonight on the ground as we had only used it once before and it will be something different.

We pulled up and park exactly at midday, setting up under some tree’s for shade as we had no intention of setting up the awning, but we did get the chairs and table out, dropped the back of the
Just Looking - honest!Just Looking - honest!Just Looking - honest!

When we arrived at the camp site this kangaroo was noseying around this deserted camp!
trailer open, set the cooker up and put the kettle on, always the first thing to do is have a cup of tea!

Caroline had got a loaf out ready to do some lunch, setting the loaf on the table and sitting down, it was not long before we had our first visitor, a Kangaroo had silently hopped in and was standing between me and Caroline, she immediately smelt the loaf of bread and grabbed it with both hands and pulled it on to the floor. She was such a pretty creature, but have a look at the pictures of the front claws and feet, they could inflict some serious damage if they put their minds to it. Caroline had left her Canon camera on the table, but nothing was safe for inquisitive little hands, no sooner as our back was turned then the camera was on the floor. I don’t really know if Kangaroo’s listen when you shout at them, but Caroline scolded the Roo and off she went, not before motioning her arms and vocalising in Caroline’s direction, angry herself at being scolded.

A guy had walked over from just over the way and introduced himself,
ScavengingScavengingScavenging

Do you have any food for me please?
as Glen, he said a couple of giant Goanna’s kept coming in and out of the camp site and we should keep our eyes open. Brilliant, I thought, Goanna’s coming to see us. While we were all talking a little Kangaroo hopped in to the circle to join in the conversation.

Five minutes later a larger male Kangaroo wandered in, looking to scavenge, and amazingly he stayed from about 1.00pm until probably 4.30 sleeping about 3 feet way from us.

When we moved our chairs to keep up with the shade, he would wake up; find a new shady spot, scratch a new bed in the soil then go back to sleep. At one stage I knew he was hot, we were all hot so I filled the washing up bowl with some water for him to drink and took it over to him.

When the Kangaroo woke up, he did so with a big yawn, the lower teeth don’t stick up like ours do, but because they are grazers their teeth are arched forwards, sort of banana shaped starting to rise upwards. He stood up, scratch his conkers like a typical bloke, which I have to
ClawsClawsClaws

See my claws.
say were quite an impressive pair, then made a couple of strides way.

We both were reading in the shade, about 30 feet away from the trailer, the male Roo wander over to the trailer and in a flash had pulled our storage boxes over and spilt the contents over the floor, again Caroline tried to scold him but I think he just totally ignored her like I do. (Water off a Roo’s Back) (Typical Man!!)

All day long we had Kangaroo’s shadowing us, not looking from afar, but just wandering by.

Caroline had wandered off, and when she got back said she had seen one of the Goanna’s, disappointingly when I went over with my camera, I could not see it.

We had such a peaceful afternoon, just sitting in the shade reading and interacting with the local wildlife, absolutely perfect. Truly an afternoon of being at one with nature, it seemed so natural to be surrounded by the kangaroos.

A few other campers had arrived, a couple, with a Scottish accent arrived in a Ute, with one of these Caravans with the top that winds up, They are really popular in Australia, we
Eyeing that CanonEyeing that CanonEyeing that Canon

The camera ended up on the floor
heard them say the young lag was there grandson, and they were here for a week, so I guess its going to be busy for them. We since found out that they have lived in Australia for 40 years and their daughter and her husband are joining them tomorrow. She warned me about the Kookaburra’s, explaining that they will swoop down and steal food from your plate if you are not careful; well they are not having my food!

We have been watching the Kookaburra’s in the trees, they are concentrating hard to focus on the ground for movement, then they swoop down and drive their solid looking beak into the ground hard looking for their dinner, which we think are Cicada’s they are a beetle like thing that only lives for 2 weeks, they hatch under the ground and then start climbing the trees and then climb out of their shells, they make the most amazing noise in unison with each other, you don’t seem to notice the noise until they stop and they stop together just like a conductor stops an orchestra.

Andy is preparing dinner I don’t think Kookaburra’s like curry and rice. While Andy
What's that Skippy?What's that Skippy?What's that Skippy?

Lassie's fallen down the mineshaft and you can't find the ranger so you need us to help?
cooks he shouts “Emu’s” so I ran to get the camera with zoom lens and wandered closer for pictures of the Emu’s, wow how much more wildlife do we get to see today!

We put the swag up and put the sleeping bags and pillows inside ready for our night under the stars. A lady from another camp comes over for a chat. Everyone we have met so far is so friendly and will always pass the time of day, it seems like we don’t get anything done sometimes as we are always talking to the “locals

When it gets pitch black, at around 9.30 we are just about to get in the swag and our torch picks up two sets of eyes, when we focus the torch, the animals seem to be a small cat like creature with very short legs, Caroline thinks they are cats with Bassett Hound legs, whilst and thinks they are slugs with Cats head.

We finally climb in to the swag, and zip up the inner mosquito net, the over canvas cover has been folded back so it only comes up to our waist. Andy makes sure I an comfortable and
ToastToastToast

Andy doing toast on a toaster made from a coat hanger.
warm enough and we lie on our backs staring up at the night sky. We are excited to see what tomorrow will bring.




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Nobody's WatchingNobody's Watching
Nobody's Watching

I may get up to some mischief
Smile PleaseSmile Please
Smile Please

See my cheeky smile, butter wouldn't melt and all that
Dangerous WeaponsDangerous Weapons
Dangerous Weapons

The business end of my feet and hands
Do you want Milk in your tea?Do you want Milk in your tea?
Do you want Milk in your tea?

Do Kangaroo's have milk in their tea?
Tim Tan timeTim Tan time
Tim Tan time

This Kangaroo thought Caroline would share her Tim Tam!! Wrong!!
A great picture of CarolineA great picture of Caroline
A great picture of Caroline

Caroline chats to Skippy
Its just to hot, to be botheredIts just to hot, to be bothered
Its just to hot, to be bothered

This one hung around our camp for several hours.
Roo's WaterRoo's Water
Roo's Water

Andy took pity and gave the Roo some cold water
Our SwagOur Swag
Our Swag

This is our bed made for the night
Sleeping under the starsSleeping under the stars
Sleeping under the stars

Looking forward to looking up at the stars at night, well in Caroline's case the blobs in the sky as she won't have her contact lens in.
Kookaburra'sKookaburra's
Kookaburra's

These 2 are perched just above the swag, lets hope they don't drop any little parcels on the swag.
Cicada ShellCicada Shell
Cicada Shell

Shell cast of an insect. We think this is Kookaburra food.


11th February 2009

enjoying the blog
hi guys, hope you are both well and travelling safe. we all got sacked from our job coz they ran of of work for us. phil and tim are back in victoria waiting for the next one, and i am in queensland trying to start the next one with a private rigging company based in brisbane, all going well we should be working around rockhampton within weeks. have enjoyed reading your adventure and your kind words and hope that you havent lost those lovely accents(?) travel safe and i will keep reading and stay in touch. oooroo(by for now)
15th February 2009

Blog
Hi Pete, thanks for your message, glad you are enjoying the blog, really sorry about the job situation, but glad you have found something to be going on with. If you are still in Queensland when we make it back there let us know and we can meet up. We still have the accents, will stay in touch. Take care

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb