Coffs Harbour - what to do on rainy days


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coffs Harbour
February 26th 2013
Published: February 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Rain drops on flowersRain drops on flowersRain drops on flowers

Big zoom from inside motorhome - flower wet, photographer dry!
We arrived in Coffs Harbour last Friday expecting to stop overnight before heading further south to our family in Medowie ready for birthday celebrations on Wed 27th.

However, the floods at Kempsey are much worse than expected and the highway is still closed. At last the rain has eased, so several loads of washing later and a relocation to a cheaper site in the camping ground, we expect to be here for another 2 or 3 days. So what do you do?

Coffs is really a nice beach side town with good facilities plus a number of tourist attractions. We like the freebies such as the Botanical Gardens, the beaches and boat harbour etc. There is also The Butterfly House and The Big Bananna, both of which boast a range of activities to keep one busy. Maybe tomorrow we will do the tourist thing. Yesterrday (Mon) and today there have been fine (but cloudy) patches to take the camera foor a walk. Though Friday's storm is well past, the seas are running hard and beaches closed to swimmers. The wind from the N E is still strong on the foreshore. But that just gives opportunity for different photos.
DriftwoodDriftwoodDriftwood

The beach had quite a lot of driftwood plus many well polished pieces of quartz. Found no gold seams, but some had jasper inclusions.

Well Wednesday started just like the day before with heavy driving rain in the morning, but the cloud cleared to the South of Park Beach, so I went out and took some photos that better represent this popular beach. The wind is still strong from the N E, swell abating but holes and rips keeping the beach empty of either the brave or young lovers.

Thursday's forcast was for a fine morning and possible storms in the afternoon. So the four of us went up to Sealey's lookout in the morning where there is a great view of the coast. And in rolled the cloud before we could get up there.

Still, what we saw is what you get in the photos..

We came down from the lookout and went to the boat harbour and also the southern harbour groin. It seams that the southern beach had the best breaks for surfers today. They were accompanied by a school of dolfin feeding on bate fish.

After lunch Mary was keen to visit the famous Twin Tails winery at Nana Glen. No, this is not grandma glen, but named after the lizard unique in the area which
Seas have abatedSeas have abatedSeas have abated

but this was taken at low tide, not high tide like the storm photo.
not only has a forked toung, but a forked or twin tail. Nana is the aboriginal name for the lizard.

A good time was had by all and (David) the des. driver just had fanta.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sea scapeSea scape
Sea scape

Coffs Harbour from Park Beach.
Beach ClosedBeach Closed
Beach Closed

There are very strong rips evident on the beach as well as the dumping waves.
Mummy MummyMummy Mummy
Mummy Mummy

I dont like the wind ruffling my feathers.
What wind?What wind?
What wind?

Dog enjoying a run on the beach and in and out of the stream.
Erectus FungiiErectus Fungii
Erectus Fungii

This tickled someones sense of humour.
Laundry in full productionLaundry in full production
Laundry in full production

Washing all done = happy wife!
Park Beach panoramaPark Beach panorama
Park Beach panorama

Wednesday - Cloud free to the south while still raining at the northern end of the beach a couple of Ks away.
Surf still upSurf still up
Surf still up

The pathway along the break water still closed as the water is still going over the rock wall.
Fun in the sunFun in the sun
Fun in the sun

But right in a hole with a rip! Ah, such is love.
Flowing swiftlyFlowing swiftly
Flowing swiftly

The Coffs Creek is still running hard. Plenty of evidence of the flood level on the path beside the stream. Looks like about 2 or 3 meters above normal.
Sealy LookoutSealy Lookout
Sealy Lookout

Sealed road all the way up to this lookout. A little rough, but easy driving.
Boat Harbour from Sealy LookoutBoat Harbour from Sealy Lookout
Boat Harbour from Sealy Lookout

Morning mist moved in.
Sealy LookoutSealy Lookout
Sealy Lookout

View of central Coffs Harbour. Coff's is quite spread along the coast, so is bigger that it appears here.
Surf still running strong under NE winds.Surf still running strong under NE winds.
Surf still running strong under NE winds.

Taken from the rock break water. A few minutes later I got drenched when the sprey came over the wall.
Trawler returnsTrawler returns
Trawler returns

This looks easy sailing, but he had to fight the swell at the headland.
Boambee Beach, CoffsBoambee Beach, Coffs
Boambee Beach, Coffs

South side of Coffs Harbour
Popular fishing spotPopular fishing spot
Popular fishing spot

But we saw no action.
Camel RidesCamel Rides
Camel Rides

Boambee Beach
School of dolfinSchool of dolfin
School of dolfin

Boambee Beach
Ready for harvestReady for harvest
Ready for harvest

Twin Tails winery. This grape is made into a fortified wine called Lizard's Blood. It is a must sample!!!!


28th February 2013

Weatther on improve
Hi Adventurers Great to sea that the weather is on the improve and you have been able to get out and about again and that with a little luck on your side you will be on your way again on Friday. Enjoy yourselves Brian and Maureen
28th February 2013

wonderful
the photos are great Rob thank you
28th February 2013

Well done
We enjoyed all the comments and photos. One benefit of you being stranded aye? Looks a pretty place to be holed up anyway. Good that you will be on your way today. The worst is behind you hopefully. Keep safe all is well up here.
1st March 2013

Wet Days
nother beauty today. Short break while we set up at brendon's and then more heavy showers. Rob
5th March 2013

Big wet
Looks like you coped pretty well in the rain. Must get up to Sealy Lookout.
6th March 2013

Sealey Lookout
Good spot. Visit the two tails winery too - great hostess, good wine, reasonable prices too.
17th March 2013

nice pict.s
good picts. enjoying wine and camel ride too.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb