SURFING...WIPOUTS AND MOONING!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coffs Harbour
December 16th 2005
Published: December 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Standing up finally!!Standing up finally!!Standing up finally!!

One of the few times I managed to stay up on the board, without mooning everyone behind me! How embarrassing!!
Have just experienced the best and most physically demanding three days of my life. Started in Sydney and ended up in Byron Bay surfing for on average 4 hours a day, mostly from 8 in the morning which meant getting up at 7am for breakie after having had a reasonably late night round the campfire trying desperately to avoid the niggly mosquitos!

Its been incredible and I'm feeling muscles that I didnt even know existed! Even my arms are looking pretty buff after only 3 days! Ooh its been fun!!
I've definately caught the bug, but its so bloody hard. Constantly being dunked by big waves whilst trying to keep control of a huge boyant table is not as easy as it looks. And doing that lying down on the board to standing up within one swift motion thing...forget it!

I'm getting better though. We went surfing for the last time this morning in Coffs Harbour and it was just stunning. Virtually cloudless sky, warm water, clear and still with amazing waves every few minutes, you can't ask for better surf to learn on, it was incredible.
I was even catching waves all by myself and riding them all
Learning to stand up!Learning to stand up!Learning to stand up!

Much harder than it looks.
the way into the beach. I know to you it probably sounds like nothing but trust me its much harder than it looks!

Anyway, we arrived in Byron Bay a couple of hours ago. Wheezie you will be happy to know that we are staying at the Arts Factory for the next 6 days in the big tent thingy, not the teepee. But quite glad as a couple of the girls from our surf trip are in the teepee and they just saw a huge spider! So we will be at the Arts Factory for christmas should be fun.

Oz experience is fun and living up to its piss head reputation. Our bus driver is called "Freak," his real name is Simon and hes ginger! But very sweet, been doing this for years and think hes quite old now!
I've however have hardly had anything to drink though in the last 3 days as i wanted to get up and enjoy the surf. Also haven't even thought about a cigarette let alone smoked one since leaving America! Could it be that I'm changing into a healthy person finally?!! Doubtful! But i do feel better.

I've set up
The Grommy'sThe Grommy'sThe Grommy's

Our two helping hands!
an online diary on www.travelblog.org you should all recieve emails from there but you need to enable it. I will be putting some surf pictures up soon, so you can check us out.

Ok better go. Big night out tonight with our surf group to pretty much say goodbye to them all 😞 very sad.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Mooning the instructor behind me!Mooning the instructor behind me!
Mooning the instructor behind me!

Look at his face, the poor thing! Proper wedgy going on!
See how its done!See how its done!
See how its done!

Luke our instructor, who's only 21 I might add, setting the example way too high!In our dreams!
Whoever said wetsuits weren't flattering?!Whoever said wetsuits weren't flattering?!
Whoever said wetsuits weren't flattering?!

Stephanie and I rearview...Thankyou VERY much Katharine!!!!
Watching the ProsWatching the Pros
Watching the Pros

Are we in Cornwall or Australia!! It was actually much warmer than it looks, especially swathed in lycra!!
The less said the better!The less said the better!
The less said the better!

No smart comments please!
Scotty Dillon's Surf MuseumScotty Dillon's Surf Museum
Scotty Dillon's Surf Museum

Very inspirational, now if only we could actually stand up on the boards!
Coff's HarbourCoff's Harbour
Coff's Harbour

The second beach on the surf tour. As expected it is beautiful and while Kat perseveres with the surfing I am tempted by the promise of a good day's sunbaking!
The HistoryThe History
The History

Probably the main thing we learnt about surfing was that it is a community and way of life. The history of great surfers is as much a part of the culture as catching your first wave.
worst action photography ever!worst action photography ever!
worst action photography ever!

somewhere back there is L surfing!


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 81; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb