The Blue Mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Blue Mountains
December 14th 2005
Published: December 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Beyond the BarrierBeyond the BarrierBeyond the Barrier

Breaking the rules gives the best view!!
Having not managed to get onto an Oz Experience bus as planned Lauren and I decided to take a quick jaunt up to the Blue Mountains.

After the minor set back of missing the train from Central station because we were waiting on the wrong platform! We arrived in Katoomba and made our way to Central Backpackers in the pretty old town of Katoomba. The hostel was listed as the newest and best!
Although very well equipped and clean it was a shame not to be able to stay in one of the many old origional buildings in the town, but a bed is a bed at the end of the day.

Set off for the Blue Mountains towards Echo point. I made lauren close her eyes when we got close so that when she opened them on the Three Sisters and the rest of the view it would be all the more spectacular. It worked, for once she was speechless! Ah success!

We chose to do a walk along to the Katoomba Falls. It was a scorching day and a nice big waterfall was definately in order.
Walked for an age up and down little pathways, saw
The hills are alive...with fliesThe hills are alive...with fliesThe hills are alive...with flies

A rare photo without the usual black haze of flies around our heads! where are the cork hats when you need them?!
lots of beautiful views along the way and ended up at 'Witches Leap'. A waterfall which cascades over a rock face that looks like a witches face. Pretty odd stuff!

From there we continued down into the valley, eventually coming out into a clearing where you could see the most gorgeous waterfall, falling some 200ft fron the cliff edge above. Was truely breathtaking.
We turned off down a path signposted 'Underwater Falls.' Which took us to the very base of the waterfall. There was a ledge in the cliff that we jumped onto over the fence and from here the view of the valley was just incrbible.
You could see for miles and there was nothing there apart from the sound of falling water hitting the rocks below. Stunning.

We wanted to go further down but time was not on our side. The steep railway that takes you back up to the top closed at 4.50pm and we were still faffing around at the waterfall past 5pm. In the end we psyched ourselves up for the upward trek that lay ahead! It didn't take too long and made us feel like we deserved a big supper.

We
First view of the MountainsFirst view of the MountainsFirst view of the Mountains

Kat made me keep my eyes shut until we were up to the barrier. I felt like a fool but am glad she did it, the view was breathtaking!
met a couple of really sweet English girls who became an instant success with us as they shared their chips, yummy. So easily befriended!

Ended up going with them and some of the other guests, Ben, Leike and Jamie who ran the hostel to see a gig in a nearby hotel.
Was a fun and unexpected night considering all I ventured out for was to call Jimmy!

Next day we explored Katoomba's highstreet. Started off the day with a trip to the 'Paragon cafe' as recommended by Robin. The cafe itself was a beautiful building still decorated with its origional 1930's interior. Each room still laid up as it would have been for afternoon tea.
We had a sneaky bite to eat, Tea with scones and muffins...as lauren said uummmmmm!!

Found a lovely hippie shop where we bought a silver locket for Robin for Christmas and possibly one for myself. Lauren bought a new silk scarf for her bag. All in all a successful trip.

Reluctantly made our way back to the train station. There's something about katoomba that invits you to stay and laze around in the old relaxed way of life. Will definatley be going back for a repeat visit, if only to sample the truffles and homemade chocolates of the Paragon cafe!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A rare sighting of the Blue Mountains yetiA rare sighting of the Blue Mountains yeti
A rare sighting of the Blue Mountains yeti

Rather reminiscent of that famous photo of Bigfoot...and with my size 9 feet the similarities dont stop there!
Dont move an inch!Dont move an inch!
Dont move an inch!

Kat braving the edge for the best photo of the day. The clumbsier member of the party was not allowed as close!
The obsession beginsThe obsession begins
The obsession begins

It all started so innocently, one photo of Katoomba Falls. Little did I know that Kat would go on to take at least 100 pictures of it! I had to literally drag her away!
Stepping back in timeStepping back in time
Stepping back in time

A small taste of Katoomba which is wonderfully stuck in the 30's. The Paragon Cafe provided amazing chocolates and breakfasts all eaten in a time warp!
Lottie and Lauren (an imposter)Lottie and Lauren (an imposter)
Lottie and Lauren (an imposter)

Two girls who were staying at 'Central Backpackers' in Katoomba. They made it in to our journal as they donated a rather large pile of chips to us for dinner!


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb