Day 2 Muttawintji N.P - Cobar


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Cobar
June 11th 2013
Published: June 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

IMG_0557IMG_0557IMG_0557

The road towards White Cliffs
5:30 am - what is that we can hear? OMG it sounds like terrential rain, you have got to be kidding! We lay in bed for about an hour as the intensity of the rain fluctuated from pissing down to pouring to finally ending. You little ripper, lets get up, have a shower, do our walk and get cracking.

Up we get, down a coffee & brekky - down comes the rain again, the sky is looking really angry and we decide to head to White Cliffs. As we head out of the N.P, all roads are still open so off we go. The road is very muddy, and a quick look back in the rear view mirror and the camper is swaying from side to side, this is going to be a long drive to White Cliffs. As it turned out, the first part of the road was the worst.

We arrive at White Cliffs, first stop the information centre to check on road conditions, only to be told all roads in and out of White Cliffs are closed and could be for 2-3 days with another inch of rain expected today, yikes!

What else can we
IMG_0564IMG_0564IMG_0564

Water on the sides of the road near Cobar
do but set up camp and hope that the rain stops, as we waited and waited, there was no let up in the rain and at times we had a little river running under the camper!

let's go and have some lunch and fill in sometime we thought, so down to the general store to be greeted by the staff there as if we were an inconvenience.

While having lunch, it was as if we were struck buy a bolt if lightening, hang on a minute we have two options here:- option A sit this weather out, spend a couple of days in the pub while waiting or optionB - back track a couple of 100 Ks through Wilcania, and make our way to Longreach via bitumen, after weighing up our options, option B was probably going to be the cheaper, without the headache (hangover). So, back to the campground, pack up in the rain and head for Cobar.

The unit of measure that best describes the amount of rain we have seen & travelled through today is SHIT LOADS.

An early night was in order with not much else to do due to the wet
IMG_0568IMG_0568IMG_0568

Dark dark clouds 4.30pm
weather, we get into bed and just lay and listen to the thunder rolling around when I heard a loud pop, then another and thought some body was shooting at us with a slug gun, then the popping was full on, sounding more like we were In a popcorn machine, yep, we were in the middle of a hail storm with mother nature sending down hail stones the size of marbles!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb