Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
February 8th 2006
Published: February 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I spent a feqw days in Byron Bay, this tunred out to be longer than i had planned but it just seemed far better that Surfers (where i briefly went) which seems so capitalist that i just headed back to Byron. Byron is a moor relaxed place, in some ways its like an exponentially smaller san francisco, which is good.

I got there, with no hostel to stay in and this wasn't good, the place is so popular that every bed was booked out, which was a shame. I had to get a more expensive hotewl room for my first night, butv was able to book into a hostel for the next three.

In my hostel i met a gang of seven Irish guys who were really friendly, accompanying them were two norweigian girls and a german guy who had met at the hostel and i have to say they were very welcoming to me and let me be in their group, This was nice because i wasn't in the best frame of mind at the time and wasn't really trying to socialise. I could have done more than i did with them probably but that didn't matter the fact that i quickly had people to hang with was cool.

On my first full day there i went on a tour to the "drug town" of Nimbin, this was weird, because the town is all about marijuana and stuff, its virtually impossible to be out on the streets fopr more than a few minutes without being offered drugs or cake or something similar. There is also a marijuana museum and marijuana shops, some of which have posters protesting about it not being legal. I did not buy any (though i will admit to being tempted), but i did end up sharing a joint with some of the guys at the hostel the following evening.

Back in Byron i just hung out with the aforementioned people for a couple more nights. Most memorable was when Claudio the German guyt showed everyone his card tricks, he wants to be a street performer and i have to say his tricks were fascinating, because it was impossible to figure out how he did them. I think he has a real future in street performing and all that.

Most of them were departing on the same day as me (they were headed to Brisbane) so it seemed like the right day to leave when i did.

I think my experiences in Byron were positive overall, oit restord my belief that socialising is not beyond my capabilities, even if i am not the worlds greatest at it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb