Surfs up


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
July 8th 2003
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Greetings friends

today we are finishing up our time in the hippie alternative lifestyle town of Byron Bay. It is a very small town centered around relaxation and surfing....but mostly surfing. Lots of strange dirty people wandering around the beaches and hemp shops and plenty of hot bods hitting the waves. We are staying at a hostel called The ARts Factory. Very strange....it was created by 2 american vietnam draft dodgers who came to australia and started a dance club. Now it is a very hippie place with all sorts of zany sleeping, eating, living options: you can sleep in a double decker bus, or a giant teepee, get free didgeredoo lessons etc. Last night we saw a neat aboriginal culture show where some natives danced and played the didge. His playing was really great. At first i thought i was just hearing things...but i swore i heard some beat boxing and electronic type noises coming out of his instrument. later i asked him if he ever got involved with electronic music. turns out he recently released an album that got on the top 10 dance in the UK. So that was great....modern dance culture and aborigial culture meet and it isnt cheesy thud-thud music!
Today was most excellent as we went surfing! you wont believe how cheap it was. 20 bucks for a 4 hour trip with wetsuits, boards, instructor, transportation to a great area and a kabob to eat afterwards! surfing in california is way more expensive for way less. anyway...it was also perfect conditions. The ground was shallow enough to stand, yet the waves were huge...so we were all able to get up on big waves and ride them in with no real problems. Tom, tell nick that our conditions were shit in huntington...and that he shouldnt be discouraged. A strange little side note was that my wetsuit was the old suit of the 2000 australian surf champion. yee haw. Tonight we are off to sydney.
kent...if you can find a movie call 'Whale Rider', it is quite good. it is from new zealand. o yeah. i saw charlies angels 2. girl power.
rawk.
-brad


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb