Australia (Seven)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
May 11th 2007
Published: July 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone,
After I left the Internet cafe in Byron I headed back to the beach where I met John and Cam and there we saw a really stunning sunset while sitting on the beach. We then cooked some dinner and went and saw Spiderman 3, which included a lot of heckling from a large group of kids which did get really annoying!! but I think I would be more annoyed if the film had been better than it was! The next morning we were rather rudely awoken at about 630 by a very rude policeman moving us on from where we had parked. We were surprised by this as we didn't think we were breaking any rules. So we got up and went and found a coffee and some breakfast before returning to the beach for a bit. We waved goodbye to Byron Bay and off we went to Nimbin.

Nimbin is the self proclaimed cannabis capital of Australia and this particular weekend the annual mardis grass was happening which is an event organised by the Hemp Embassy which aim is to protest at the drug laws in Australia. The town itself is a very small place about an hours drive inland from the coast. It was very busy and there was lots of market stalls selling anything from food and drink to clothes. The was a large mix of hippies and travellers like ourselves. I found it lacked a more party atmosphere but we did a little shopping had a bit to eat. There was an area which had a few things going on which we would have had to pay for but decided against it and instead after wandering for a few hours jumped in the car and drove to Mount Warning National Park. There we parked up and played some cards for a while before cooking some dinner and going to bed rather early as we were all shattered.

The next morning we got up and had some breakfast and made some sandwiches and packed our backs full of water and food before starting the 4.4km climb to the summit. It was a really enjoyable climb through the forest and there was an awful lot of people doing it. There near the bottom there were some really big trees reminiscent of the rain forest in Malaysia. There were also a lot of vines everywhere which made me wish for a lake/river to swing into, Tarzan stylee. After a hour or so we did start to get some fantastic views when there was a break in the tree canopy. Eventually the path reached its limit of easy walkability and turned into a near 50 or 60 degree scramble up the rocks to the summit, this was by far the most fun part, But unfortunately it ended and we reached the top where we sat and relaxed and had a bite to eat ans looked at the stunning views. We could see for miles, to Byron Bay where we had seen Mount warning in the distance and to The Gold coast and all its high rise buildings. We also saw a python which was sleeping on a tree. We then climbed down and made our way back to the car. We then finished our food and headed to the Gold coast and a new state! Our first stop was Coolangatta where John and I jumped straight into the sea and had quick dip before heading to the surf club where we watched the sun set over the bay with Surfers Paradise in the distance.

The next day we headed to Miami beach and spent the day there sunbathing and body surfing before heading over to surfers where we met Doug and a couple of his mates. We then jumped in the car with Doug and went to his place where we had a BBQ and a few drinks...

The next morning we headed to Broadbeach and spent the day there before having a few drinks in Surfers. The day after that we went to Wet n Wild a water park just north of The Gold Coast. This was really really good!! They had lots of different rides and we managed to go on all of them at least once sometimes more. When the park closed we where just on the motorway when Doug rang and we went and met him and headed to the beach for a Kite Surf. Unfortunately the light was fading but luckily we had parked up next to a surf club and they had their floodlights on so we were able to see perfectly. The Kite Surfing was done on the sand and was really powerful.. well at least in the conditions we had where the wind wasn't that strong. It still managed to drag me along the sand!! When it's strong it will lift you off... how I want to do it when it's like that!! We then went to the surf club and had some drinks and dinner there.

The next day we went to Surfers for the morning and relaxed there, but unfortunately the wind was really strong so we headed up the cost to find a sheltered area. At about 4pm Doug came and met us and we followed him to the airport... Doug is a pilot!! and we had got him to arrange a flight for us in a small plane!! We were in a small 4 seater Cessna 172 and I got to be the co-pilot we took off and first headed towards Mount Warning which we had climbed a few days ago. Doug then gave me a go a flying!! I was a bit shaky at first but a few tips and I improved vastly and managed to keep a fairly steady coarse and altitude. Once we past Mount Warning we headed towards a valley and Doug took back the controls and did a maneuver known as a wing over,.... fun!! We also caught sight of Byron bay and the lighthouse at Cape Byron was clearly visible. We then headed out to sea a little and started heading back towards the gold Coast. Doug then put a pen on my hand and did a quick dive and it just floated away!! we experienced weightless for a few seconds... amazing. i then took the controls and flew on towards the god coast and had a look at the skyscrapers from the air which was fantastic!! We then ran out of time and headed back to the airport. We then went and met a couple of Doug's mates in a Surf club and had some food and a few drinks there before heading back to Doug's house.

Off to Brisbane today so looking forward to that...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb