Boulder Now Looks Conservative


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
September 21st 2007
Published: September 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Byron Bay CoastllineByron Bay CoastllineByron Bay Coastlline

Alternate beach used during windy days on the main one
After living in Boulder for 5 years, it seems like a conservative town relative to Byron Bay. There are more dreads here per person than any place I've ever seen. With that out of the way, it is probably my favorite town so far. It has a very laid back atmosphere and some beautiful beaches. Lots of little cafes and independent shops. The first town I've seen so far without any American influence (no big chains).

I'm staying at a place called the Arts Factory which is basically a big hippie commune. You have the option of staying in a huge teepee, a double decker bus, a VW bus, etc. Its is more of a long term hostel and most of the people are working at the hostel for free rent. I spoke with one girl who left the hostel after a month and then returned after 3 days because she missed it. Most of the residents seem a little out of touch with reality. On that note, I'm taking off tomorrow to head North to a town called Noosa.

During my few days here I hiked up to the lighthouse which sits on the most eastern location in
LighthouseLighthouseLighthouse

Me at the lighthouse in Byron. Most easterly point in mainland Australia
Australia. It is a pretty big surfing destination so that has provided some entertainment. Other than that, most of my time was spent laying out on the beach, hanging around town and hearing the stories of the hippies. Tons of Canadians and Americans who have been in Australia for years, avoiding being deported.

During the sunset tonight I managed to catch a few whales breaching far off in the distance. North of Noosa many of the activities require pre-packaged activities. I'll be 4 wheel driving on Fraser Island, sailing in the Whitsundays and snorkeling/diving on the Great Barrier Reef before heading to Darwin in the middle of the tropics.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

HippiesHippies
Hippies

Crazy hippies/drummers playing during the sunset
Hippie StrongholdHippie Stronghold
Hippie Stronghold

Arts Factory
BoratBorat
Borat

Crazy vans everywhere
Beach ArtBeach Art
Beach Art

Art on beach showers...advocating smart water use


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb