Byron Bay Hiking in the Midday Sun


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
December 18th 2006
Published: December 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had a quick look round the high street in Byron last night, and got up early today to explore some more. It is a really eclectic place, and seems very chilled out. Perhaps the amount of herbal intoxication available! There is a huge shop selling all manner of herbal highs in the town centre.

We decided to have a quick wander round the tour companies, Dive centres and info spots before heading off to the Lighthouse. Byron Bay is a stunningly picturesque little place - focused around the headland that is rather suprisingly called Cape Byron.

The Lighthouse is perched on the top of Cape Byron, and we decided to take the short route - just a couple of Km's up to the top on foot. It was quite a steep walk - and as we were walking in the midday sun without any sunscreen or water (sorry Mum's) we got both burnt and cream crackered.

Once at the top the view is for miles and miles along the coastlines and out into the Pacific Ocean. During the Winter you can watch Humpback Whales from the headland.

We headed back along the beach route, through a tiny cove on the headland called Watego Bay. It has the most stunning houses and a couple of incredible boutique hotels - one of which is Rae's on Watego one of the top 10 hotels in the world. No wonder the little beach is stunning.

After an afternoon of chilling out on the beach we cooked Dinner had a few beers and took it easy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb