Crossing the border


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
December 17th 2006
Published: December 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After having one more look around Surfers Paradise, we continued our journey south, but this time with a small detour to Mount Tamborine.

On the approach roads to the Mountain were large red sign posts warning of steep inclines, that trucks, vans and large vehicles should turn back, we took this as only a gentle hint and decided to ignore them and continued our ascent. After a very short time it was clear that second gear was going to be our home for the next 10km.

At close to two thirds of the way up we decided to give 'Big Jim' a breather and stopped, only to find on re-starting the engine after a few moments a warning alarm was sounding, which seemed to suggest 'Jim' wasn't feeling very well after the journey! Dan and I examined the situation, and after some excellent mechanics on Dan's part (his brother and Dad would be so proud), we managed to get Jim back on the road.

At the top of the mountain was a small forest walk and a waterfall, nothing much to report really, it certainly wasn't as spectacular as some of our other sites already visited, but it was great to stretch our legs, if nothing else.

After a spot of lunch, we made our way meandering through the countryside still heading south trying to miss the major highways so that we could see some of actual Australia.

One funny little place we drove through was Mooball, yes this is actually a place! It appeared to be a town devoted to its cattle, even painting the electricity pylons in a cow print! I couldn't stop thinking how Nicole should make home here!!

After a little while we arrived in Byron Bay- our home for the night (after travelling about 100 or so miles in one day). First stop- a camp site to park 'Jim' and then dinner.

Our first impressions of the town are that it is very much a hippy community and that Glastonbury certainly would not look out of place here!

We'll be here for a couple of days and then Big Jim will hit the road again.





Advertisement



18th December 2006

Enjoying your blog
Hi guys. Glad you are enjoying Oz. I've been a lurker for a few weeks. If you want to cut down on your accommodation costs, look for a book called Camps Australia Wide 3. It lists most of the free camping sites around Oz and a lot of the cheaper caravan parks. Some of them are crap - close to roads, too far out of the way - but many of them are absolutely wonderful. My wife and I have recently returned from a trip around Qld and found it really helpful. Have a great Christmas. We're on our way to the Woodford Folk Festival, just north of Brisbane.
19th December 2006

Mooball... Moovan
One of those funky little campers comes covered in cow print too! They look fabulous! You best have a lot of pics for me you guys or i'll be most upset! x
19th December 2006

Enjoy Big Jim
Hi Guys, Sounds like you are having a load of fun. Excellent reading your journal. It is amazing that we've had less access to the internet here in WA than we've had in India or China! Anyway, it's been great having a catch up on your adventures. Sounds cool!!! See you guys soon. Love Charlotte xx

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb