Bourke – a great place to visit


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Bourke
September 22nd 2015
Published: September 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Everybody has heard of Bourke but usually it is as part of the “its back of Bourke” quote that indicates that something is way out in the outback. Few people get to visit this town to find out what a gem it really is.



Bourke is a regional centre that tries really hard to appeal to tourists and encourages support of its local businesses. The Mitchel caravan park is a good example. It is a medium sized caravan park with van sites around a central area of lawn that contains the camp kitchen, fire pit and a playground. Every day there is some sort of activity. This includes billy tea with muffins, hot dog night, burger night, happy hour and a BBQ night. These either occur near the camp kitchen or around the fire pit. Some are free and some require a minimal contribution. It is easy to see why this is a popular spot.



A local restaurant (Diggers on the Darling), based in the local RSL hall, runs a courtesy shuttle pick up to the local caravan parks and motels. This encourages customers to enjoy themselves without any risk of drink-driving. The menu and quality of the food is better than you would expect for an outback town.



There are all sorts of things to do and see, depending on your tastes. It would be easy to spend a number of days in this town.



Overnight the weather changed so we were back in jeans and boots for our day in Bourke.

Joan woke feeling much improved but now a sticky eye was making her consider visiting a doctor again. Instead a very helpful pharmacist provided advice and a product which should at least get us through to Dysart. We think we have done enough for the NSW health industry at this stage.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb