These boots are made for walking


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Big Hill
November 13th 2014
Published: November 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

It was that time again for another uni meet-up.

Big Hill at Delicate Nobby near Crescent Head was chosen not for the groaning innuendos but the superlative white sand beach stretching from Crescent Head to Point Plomer.

Our botanist friends tell us there is a spectacular walk at Limeburner’s Creek and go off to check the access in between arranging a cake break. In fact the whole stay revolves around accommodating sufficient tea/coffee and cake breaks.

After all we don’t want to miss valuable cake-eating time.

So, on the cake menu we had:

Baklava: our Greek friend outdoes himself with probably the best baklava I’ve tasted. Flaky but still crisp layers of pastry, honeyed nuts, chopped pistachios and just the right amount of nectar left on your fingers without dribbling onto your second cleanest shirt!

Macadamia cake: a worthy attempt to recreate the wondrous cake made with Greek expertise on former weekends. Delicious in its nuttiness!

Orange semolina cake: an Eastern cake made with boiled oranges, ground almonds and semolina.

A robust discussion ensued about just how many pieces of each we were entitled to. While the banter continued our entertainment director quietly set out the weekend’s jigsaw.

I gasped. Boots. Yep, three shelves of Dallas Cowboy boots which made me blanch at the memories of belt buckles, boots and Stetsons from a previous era of my life.

I forget my prejudices and become the jigsaw queen, up early and creeping about to fill in another section.

Cake and jigsaw done for now we set out for the aforementioned walk. Australia isn’t generally known for wildflowers, although Western Australians might dispute this, but we happened to be in the exact spot at the exact day in Spring when they were most prolific.

For those of a horticultural bent I even learnt the botanical names for some of them. Actinotus helanthi – the ubiquitous flannel flower, Caustis recurvata – curly grass, Epacris microphylla – coral heath, Aotus – yellow gorselike flowers, Melaleuca thymifolia – purple paperbark, boronia, Patersonia – silky purple flags and the shy Calena Major – duck orchid.

The boots we were wearing trod lightly as we tramped through the heathland stopping far too often to take yet another photograph. Well, it was amazing and a far cry from the usual beach walking. Serendipitous timing indeed.



Another journey for the boots saw us stride down the beach and walk around Big Hill. We were swept away from the spectacular views by a blustery Southerly and beat a fast retreat back to Big Hill for more cake.

A tennis tournament had been mooted by the entertainments director who, however, absented herself leaving some walking wounded and slippered contestants to battle it out. The best men didn’t win of course but that’s the nature of tennis!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



13th November 2014
Actinotus helanthi - flannel flower

In season
The flannel flowers behind our place are starting to bloom. Great shot Mert. If you are ever in Sydney give us a bell (a call).
13th November 2014
Actinotus helanthi - flannel flower

RE. flowers
Aren't you gallivanting at the moment? We are off to Laos in January but would love to catch up some time in the New Year!
13th November 2014
Famous baklava

One of my favourites
I think this friend is a keeper!
13th November 2014
Famous baklava

Oh yes!
He and my husband went to university together in Sydney many moons ago and played guitar and sang sad songs, now they eat!
14th November 2014
Macadamia and chocolate cake

Chocolate
One of life's little joys.
1st January 2016
Away from Big Hill

Fun
Footsteps in the sand

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb