Edit Blog Post
Published: June 23rd 2019
It is high time for another trip, this time up to the Kimberley. We have a new vehicle for this trip and we are looking forward to putting it through its paces on the Gibb River Road. We’ll be away for 7 – 8 weeks and covering around 15,000 km, give or take.
The rough itinerary for this trip looks a little something like this:
• Head up to North toward Mt Isa and onto Katherine in the first seven days (approx. 3,600 km)
• Hang around Katherine for a few days and onto Kununurra for another few days and then sloooooow right down
• Three weeks between Kununurra and Broome and then stay in Broome for a couple of days
• Across through Fitzroy Crossing and Halls Creek to the Bungle Bungles in the Purnululu National Park
• Follow the Tanami Track down to Alice Springs
• Head East to the Hay River Track and then follow that South into the Simpson Desert and onto Birdsville
• If we have time, head South toward the somewhat full-of-water Lake Eyre and then an unknown route home.
Our little dog Bella gets a guernsey for this trip as we won’t be going into too many National Parks and for the ones that we do want to go into, we have company in Di and Tony who are going to bring their pooch Jack and they have kindly said they’ll look after Bella for us when we hit Mitchell Falls and some other NPs.
This weekend sees our last major chance to get everything ready to go, bar food and clothes. Heading off next Saturday nice and early – cannot wait!
If anyone has any ideas of places along the way that we simply cannot miss, please let us know!
Some of the places on the list to date include the Longreach Qantas museum, Barkly Homestead, Mataranka Springs, Lake Argyle, El Questro station, Wyndham, Mitchell Falls, Drysdale River, Kalumburu, Derby, Cape Leveque, Wolf Creek Crater and maybe Innamincka, the Dig Tree, Cameron Corner.
Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0115s; 1; m:saturn w:www (188.8.131.52); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.3mb