Day One - Casey, ACT to Nyngan Weir, NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
June 29th 2019
Published: July 2nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

We’re away, Whoooooooooot.

The 8am scheduled start time got delayed to around 9.30am - a pretty common occurrence on these trips for the first day! But eventually we got moving.

We are pretty keen to get up to Katherine and Kununurra ASAP so we aren’t going to be spending much time in any of our spots. So for that very reason, posts will be a little light on detail for week one and a bit although we did see some interesting bits and pieces such as the wheat silos (some were massive - probably not as little as the ones Billy Brownless kicked the footy over), a huge solar farm under construction that had thousands of solar panels in place and at least three times that to go and the cotton bales waiting at the yards for transport - soooooo many. An interesting thought considering that almost every creek and river that we crossed was dry….

We stopped in at Parkes for lunch (a can of Heinz Big Eats each!) and kept motoring until we got to Nyngan. This was our nominal stop for the night and we soon located, through a mix of Wikicamps and the Camps Australia book, a nice little spot on the Bogan River called Nyngan Weir. We set-up pretty quickly, got a fire going and threw in one of our pre-made meals, this time a chicken stir fry courtesy of Tony and Di.

The night was spent talking rubbish, listening to/watching the abundant pelicans fly about and hunting a meal, and watching satellites cross the sky, something that you would never see at home in Canberra, or at least I haven’t. Tony also tried to point out some of the constellations to me. To be honest I think that they are mostly rubbish. He pointed out the Scorpius which appeared to be a mix of back the front, upside down and generally nothing like a scorpion. Each to their own.

We had travelled for around seven hours so sleep came easy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb