DAY 9 - CANBERRA


Advertisement
Published: November 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was a work day for Mike so Maureen was on her own (except for her little cricket friend in the hotel room). After walking to the post office I decided to take the plunge and drive myself to the National Museum of Australia. I spent most of my time in the "Original Australians" area learning about the culture and history of the Aboriginals. Their treatment was sadly similar to that of the American Indians. It was disturbing to learn how the indigenous children were often taken from their families as a sort of assimilation into white society with the "intention" of giving them a better life. In reality they were never accepted and were often treated very poorly. It was moving, however, to see their recent progress with the Australian government apologizing for the past, reuniting family members and giving recognition of their rights and cultural values.

The rest of the day we spent trying to get the internet to work (unsuccessfully), then buying a roasted chicken for dinner. Tomorrow we have some time here in Canberra before heading off to Adelaide.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

National MuseumNational Museum
National Museum

"Original Australians" exhibit
National MuseumNational Museum
National Museum

Some Aboriginal art
Snack AttackSnack Attack
Snack Attack

We were almost giddy at finding these familiar items in the grocery store.
Canberra SunsetCanberra Sunset
Canberra Sunset

Taken from our balcony


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb