The new tales of Pepe La Perouse


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Pepe La PeruzePepe La PeruzePepe La Peruze

He lives behind the wardrobe in the Garage
DAY 611

Wow, I only said to Caroline, yesterday morning is we ought to publish another blog pretty soon, and as its was a pretty greyish afternoon today I thought I would pick the laptop up and was horrified when I saw that our last blog entry was 19th June (What Goes on Tour Stays on Tour).

So what’s been happening since we last blogged, well we completed the house sit in Deakin for Roger and Helen who had gone off for their own adventures in the Yukon, and came back on Tuesday 6th July, it was a bit of a rush moving out mid week and something I don’t think we will do again when we are house sitting, it will need to be a weekend vacate or we won’t take the house sit, but we know now for next time.

The Yukon is somewhere we would love to go, we absolutely adore Canada and one of my ambitions is to go the Iditarod, the famous dog sled race, from Anchorage to Knome, they say it’s the toughest race on earth. I certainly haven’t got what it takes to participate, but I could just see us, standing out in the darkness in the cold waiting for the mushers to come In on this epic race, but it will have to wait for another day

We had been out on the weekend before for a brilliant Saturday night out, with my colleagues and our Partners, we had our “Christmas in July” party, which is basically a Christmas Party when it is cold to replicate what Christmas should really be like in December.

Well 34 of us caught a historic train from Kingston to Tarago which is about 1½ hours each way plus a stop of about an hour and a half at Tarago village hall which had a live band playing.

It was a hoot, really good fun and we sat in our carriage with our friends Rob and Sarah and had an excellent meal and a few drinks and eventually got home about 1.00am in the morning. I am pretty sure that I saw Father Christmas wandering down the train carriage somewhere, still I suppose he is not so busy at this time of year so perhaps a small gig comes in handy.

Seriously though the train is staffed with volunteers for which
LamaLamaLama

Buying Coffee for his owner
we are truly grateful that they carried out a great service and of course help to keep this train running.

On the morning after we both woke bleary eyed and were supposed to be going cycling at 10.00am but had to postpone it due to our hangovers, after a quick phone call to the Hanily’s we re appointed cycling to 1.00pm and then had to go and get an emergency breakfast, to try to relieve our symptoms.

We reconvened at the bicycle hire place at 1pm both feeling pretty jaded, hired our bikes and peddled off in to the afternoon with Rob, Sarah, Jaxon, Zac, Nick and Bec and by the time we completed our 20k ride felt somewhat better than we did when we set off, the fresh air worked wonders.

When we got back form our cycling, we had to get on with preparing the house, ready for when Roger and Helen would get back.

Caroline was supposed to be going to Christmas Island last week with her work, but the flights were all fully booked so her trip had to be postponed, fortunately I suppose as it can be fairly stressful when packing up and moving so it would have been bad timing. When we moved out of Deakin, we moved in to our friend, Bec’s house, just until Saturday, when we moved in to a house sit in Griffith, South Canberra (not to be confused with Griffith in New South Wales).

Saturday morning, we all agreed to have an easy day, so I decided to do a full English breakfast, bacon, eggs, sausage, tinned tomatoes, toast and hash browns if I could get them, so I jumped in to the truck and whizzed down to the supermarket to get all the required goodies.

I was unable to get the hash browns so I brought back a tin of Spam instead and when I got back Bec said “Spam!” yuk, Its made out of the sweepings of the floor and its all rubbish, I said “have you ever tried it?” “no” she said, “don’t worry Bec you will love it trust me.”

Soon we were all sitting down to a full breakfast and once we offered Bec HP sauce to put on her brecky and before you know it hook ,line and sinker, oh and she loved the Spam!

In the afternoon we paid a visit to Jan and Keith, Jan had an operation on her foot recently so we wanted to see how she and Keith were getting along. Then it was back to Bec’s, load the truck and off to Griffith to move into our new temporary home.


Ah I nearly forgot, how we got to this blog name, “The tales of Pepe La Perouse.”

About 2½ months ago when we were interviewed for the house sit we are now doing, I suggested to Jane that I would start her car every week, to which she said it would not be necessary, I said then I will lock it and close the garage doors to give it some protection whilst she was away.

“You Can’t!” said Jane, the garage doors mustn’t be closed at all costs, “why?” I said, “ah well, there is a possum that lives behind the cupboard and has been there for 12 years, and he needs to be able to get out.”

“Ok then,” I said, “garage door, possum understood,” I asked Jane if she had a name for the Possum to which she said not, so Caroline came up with the name for the mysterious possum, Pepe After Pepe Le Pew, the famous cartoon skunk, and La Perouse, as we are staying in a Street just off La Perouse street, so the name “Pepe, La Perouse” was born.

That afternoon, we unloaded the truck and when Jane was ready I took her to Canberra airport for her flight to Sydney, on to Japan, Helsinki then finally on to Moscow. We are here now until the 5th of August.

When I got back, It was quick change then off to the Marque Hotel in Canberra where we had been invited to a prize giving evening for the Belconnen Magpies.

Just before we went out, we grabbed the torch and went gingerly in to the garage, I shone it on top of the wardrobe and there sitting in the darkness was a large Brush Tail Possum with a big pink nose, excellent, we had got to see the Possum, so we locked the house and off we went.

The evening was good fun, we only knew a few people there, but it was still good fun, I drove so we could have the flexibility that we wanted and we could leave when we wanted to.

By 11.00 the party was in full swing, well sort of, there was no dancing, just lots of football talk and drinking and as we wanted to have a clear head for the morning we left everyone to it.

Neither of us can believe how busy we have been, we had hoped to see a few more of the local sights, but we are both working long hours and weekends are spent with normal life things like shopping, washing, ironing but not forgetting the great bike rides we have been having every weekend around Lake Burley Griffin, despite some very cold Sundays we have been out there and enjoying every minute of the Canberra way of life and what we promised to do when we came out here and that was to enjoy the big outdoors and not get another gym membership!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Rob & SarahRob & Sarah
Rob & Sarah

On the train


12th July 2010

Interesting Creature ...
That sure is an interesting creature living in the garage. Not sure how my wife would have handled seeing him.

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb