Sunday Weber


Advertisement
Published: January 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

DinnerDinnerDinner

At keith and Jan's place
DAY 436


A Sunday morning lie in again, ok I do admit every day is usually a lie in so I am going to have to get out of that habit, I do long for waking up in the tent, I always seem to wake early and find it more inspiring to get out of bed, but who can blame me, when there is fresh air, countryside and fabulous views to see right out side your front door then staying in bed should not be an option.

Andy is already downstairs having his quiet time, I join him for a cup of tea and some toast. He is finishing up the blog and doing some emails.

As it is Sunday then it is ok to put the TV on and watch it for a while, once the news has done its first round I turn over to watch “How I Met Your Mother”, I have to say I quite enjoy this particular sitcom, I used to be an avid watcher of “Friends” which is repeated quite frequently seemingly wherever you happen to be in the world, so it is nice to see something new (although it is
Their ViewTheir ViewTheir View

Over the Vinyards
not actually new, I just have not seen any of the episodes before.)

We have not seen Susan as yet this morning, but we potter around doing bits and pieces like hanging out the washing etc. but all is quiet from Susan’s room. I know she must have been up earlier as the dogs were up and about and would probably have been fed as they are not bothering us for breakfast.

Once we are showered and changed we head out, as today we are having Sunday lunch with Jan and Keith, they very kindly invited us over for Sunday lunch today. If you followed what we did last week, we dropped in on them for coffee and a chat, we met them in the Northern Territory way back in July last year.

Jan and Keith are not far away so in no time at all, we arrive. Jan shows us a map that she has bought from the National Geographic shop, it is a large map of Australia, laminated, which she intends on putting on her wall and will plot where they have been, however our first job is to let Jan know exactly where we have been, so we did a whistle stop tour of Australia on the map. Jan and Keith show us where they intend to take their next trip, it is not yet fully planned out or decided it depends on what time they have available.

Of course we chatted for ages, we did not cover anywhere near enough ground or should I say Australia, when we met up last week, so still lots to talk about and Jan makes some good suggestions as to where we should go while we are in Canberra.

Keith cooked the dinner, while we sat and chatted to Jan, we sat down at the dining room table for our Sunday lunch, we had roast beef cooked in the Weber and plenty of vegetables washed down with a nice glass of white. Their dining room overlooks one of the best views in Canberra, they can see right over to the Brindabella’s and you can see Mount Stromlo with the observatory on the top.

After lunch we walked a little bit down the road to admire more of the view, we are walking along what is called an equestrian path that is supposed to run from Cairns to somewhere in Victoria, I had hoped to research it and put more detail in but I have been unable to find anything on the internet about it. This path also acts as a firebreak before it reaches the houses on the other side.

Jan and Keith have told us about how close the bush fires came to their house and it was definitely too close for comfort, the problem now with the path is that they are putting trees down the side of it which now means that the fire break will disappear.

We can see the vineyard which Jan tells us was recently sold to a developer, however it may be that the land cannot be developed for 20 years, in which case for now their nice view may be secure, but as with most things eventually the developers will get their way and the stunning views will disappear but that is also progress and Canberra is an expanding and thriving city.

There is something about looking over a vineyard seeing all of those beautiful green vines stretched out down the hillside, especially when the surrounding area is looking scorched from the searing heat and sun.

Later in the afternoon, Keith gets the kettle on, he has also put some cake out for us, but I have to decline, I am still very full after our Sunday roast. I also feel very tired too!

We thoroughly enjoyed our time we spent with Keith and Jan today, we spoke about allsorts and I am pretty sure that we managed to put World politics right as well. It was not until about 6.00 that we left.

Back at Susan’s we both feel tired but we have a few things to do, thankfully Susan has already brought in my washing from the line, as it was dry. Andy settled down to finish the blog from yesterday.

Later in the evening we watched a TV programme called Face Painting, the artist paints pictures of people who are no longer with us, which is not easy from that perspective as the artist likes to get the feel of a person and show their personality in the finished painting. The artist chose Bon Scott, he was the lead singer of AC/DC and passed away in 1980, died in London from an alcohol overdose. Bon Scott was born in Freemantle where there is also a memorial to him.

Anyway, the artist, spoke to friends and colleagues, reviewed photographs and painted with ease until a terrific portrait of the Late Bon Scott was produced which was pretty impressive.

The evening had turned really cold, this is not right, last week it was really hot and the nights were still very warm, so what happened to the weather?

We were thankful to get into bed, we are both very tired tonight and as it is so cold it will be nice to get warm


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb