The Trashy Tour of Canberra.


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Well yesterday was actually a pretty eventful day, more eventful than the other two have been anyhow. I got the Trashy Tour of Canberra courtesy of a friend named Laura, went to see the parliament house, walked on Anzac parade, and along the man made lake.

To explain me having a friend named Laura, I will start this out by explaining that she is a girl I lived with and became friends with in York. A very lovely lady, we got on really well, and she is alot of fun to be around. Since she lives here, I knew a trip to Canberra would not be complete without a visit with her.

So anyway, we went out to dinner with Laura and her sister Jen (who I also met in York), now that wasn't very interesting besides the gossip about all the people we used to live with, but afterwards it got a little bit more interesting. Laura decided to drive us around the dodgy area of Canberra. And when I say dodgy, I don't mean.. dodgy.. I mean.. generally everywhere looked quite nice really, except for the forresty area, but I think it all seemed quite safe.
Anzac ParadeAnzac ParadeAnzac Parade

From Mt Anslie, over parliament house, etc.
(nothing
Anzac Parade
From Mt Anslie, over parliament house, etc.compared to Skid Row as it's knicknamed, in Canada).

So we went to some.. interesting neighbourhoods, and I did find out that Canberra is the only place in Australia where porn, fireworks, is legal, and the community BELIEVES weed legal... There are also alot of strange little "massage parlours" here. I'm told, it's because of all the politicians and their need for... stress relief. hahaha.

So we went past a few Porn stores, and massage parlours, and saw a few other strange things that.. For instance, we spent about 20 minutes looking for a tree that supposedly had a stuffed monkey stapled to it. It's customary to mark accident sites with little memorials, and I suppose this one family put a stuffed animal up on the tree. Which sounds a little bit strange to me, but I'm told it's quite common. Anyway, I don't think I would have even thought of any of this stuff if Laura wasn't so crazy. haha.

Parliament house actually isn't the most interesting building to be in. There is a cool part to it though. The roof is accessable by two grassy lawn areas, and at the top, there is a huge flag that's about the size of a double decker bus (the flag part, the pole is much larger). After that we walked along Anzac parade. Which sounds really interesting, but honestly... it's just a long rocky walk. It does take pretty photos though!

Anyway I have to get a move on to dinner! 😊 Hope everyone is doing well!!!

And thanks to those who are reading and commenting 😊 it makes me feel special!


Advertisement



2nd June 2007

Canberra
They said that in Australia they spend monday and tuesday talking over what they did over the weekend and thursday and friday talk about what they plan to do for the weekend and only really work on Wednesday! Is that true too with the bureaucrats in Canberra... or wednesday is for a visit to the parlors!!! to destress haha~! I think you will enjoy Melbourne more..supposedly more of a garden city and very well planned!
8th June 2007

Canberra
Hey, that Australian work ethic dad mentioned sounds like Norwegian work ethic! We live for our weekends too. Hope you're having fun and keeping safe!

Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 14; ; mem: 1.1mb