Sunday 18th September


Advertisement
North America
September 18th 2016
Published: September 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

It was a bright and early start today to try and beat the heat! We were off by just after eight and our first stop was at Golden Canyon, where we had a short hike through twisting and narrow rock formations. It was already very warm so we soon left for our next destination - Badwater basin. We had already seen this phenomenon in the bottom of the valley from our viewpoint at Dante's yesterday, but today we were there, the lowest place in North America at over 280ft below sea level. It is a surreal landscape of vast salt flats which you can walk out on into the centre of the valley. There was water here once and apparently a temporary lake can still form after heavy rainstorms. Not too often I think as 2ins of rain is the average yearly rainfall and many years have none. It is called Bad water because of the very high salt content.

Next was another scenic drive, this time along Artist's Drive, so named because of the multi- coloured levels in the volcanic and sedimentary hills. The colours are due to the differing mineral contents and are very striking. As the temperatures were now definitely on the up we headed to the visitors centre where we bought our pass yesterday, for a look around their information area with exhibits,videos and a film all about Death Valley National park. The temperature rose while we were there from 99 to 110°!! No wonder this is one of the hottest places on earth!!

We finished today with a short drive to visit Mesquite Flat sand dunes. We will pass these again tomorrow as we head out the park and they are another strange phenomena appearing as they do in the middle of a barren rocky landscape. They are quite large, nearly 100 ft in some cases, but they are home to sidewinder rattlesnacks so we didn't stay too long!!

Tonight we have a group BBQ so I am writing this a little earlier than usual and I think a visit to the pool is calling, at least the water should be warm!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb