Canada Day in La Romaine


Advertisement
North America
July 5th 2013
Published: July 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

La RomaineLa RomaineLa Romaine

Anchored, listening to music and having a brew while the wind and waves rock us
It was an early day again, North Star was fired up at 5:15 on a sunny day with light winds. We need to get to our next anchorage before the afternoon wind gusts to 70 kilometers per hour. So far we have had two weather delays and two days of fog, not bad for this type of trip.

We are seeing less and less wildlife, there is nothing out here, water and rocks barely any trees to speak of. Lots of Mures flying with their stubby wings and the usual abundance of Loons and Gannets. The Captain and I took one hour shifts at the helm since the wind on our stern means a lot of steering. Too rough to cook so sandwiches was the fare for our lunch and breakfast.

We arrived at La Romaine and tied up at a really high fishing wharf. It was all we could do to hold the boat in the fierce wind. A lady came to tell us that we should move since the winds would get worse later and that side of the dock was rough. We decided to anchor since the wharf was too rough in high winds on both sides. Anchoring was no picnic either; we sat bouncing and rolling as badly as out on the water but making no headway. The wind subsided around 7:00 and we threw out a stern anchor to keep her pointed to the swells to reduce the rolling. It was too rough to cook dinner so sandwiches again. We had good music and cold beer so it’s not all bad. Some days just aren’t real pleasure boating.

Oddly enough we had a good night’s sleep and left at 4:00 in the morning on a calm sunny day, again to beat the afternoon winds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb