Rihla # 22 (Topic of Choice)


Advertisement
North America
March 12th 2012
Published: March 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our next week of study will begin with an investigation of curiosity and free thinking. With that said, this week’s RIHLA will be student lead. Please choose a current events article that you find to be interesting and answer the questions that

1. Summarize your article
2. How does your current event relate to topics or ideas that we have discussed in world history. Explain fully
3. Is there evidence of cause and effect in your article? How so?
4. What powerful questions does your article make you ask? What information do you need to answer these questions?



Article used: http://articles.cnn.com/2009-04-23/us/bullying.suicide_1_bullies-gay-tired/2?_s=PM:US
Lately, bullying seems to have taken the center stage in news. The article "My Bullied Son's Last Day On Earth" narrates the story of an 11 year old boy, Jaheem Herrera who was driven to his death after being bullied. Although the school's bullying policy was considered exemplary, bullying still proved to have impacted a young boy's life. Jaheem felt that no on would be able to help him. Despite his complaints, he was still attacked with vulgar language and accusations. On April 16, Jaheem came home from school with a smile on his face. Later on that day, he was discovered dead by his mother. The 11 year old boy hung himself. Exploring world history has showed me that the actions that are taken at this very moment, impact generations to come. We look back at history and think " why did people do the things they did? Did they not know they were doing things that are silly?" I look back at Jaheem's short life and wonder why those bullies did what they did. They did not let him live his life the same way that they themselves were trying to do so. Because of these boys' disrespect, Jaheem took his life. I know what it is like to see someone get bullied. I feared that if I defended the person being bullied, that I would be bullied. However, life changes when you get to high school; at least, that is what happened in my high school.

In grade school, circumstances are different. Students only think about having fun. We are concerned about who gets to the swings first. But when you reach high school, you think about your future. The people who are bullied, you learn to defend them. You learn that injustice is malignant. Even words are hurtful. For that reason I ask, what will make bullying stop? The most admired no bullying environment that Jaheem attended did little to help him. A No tolerance for bullying sign may look nice on a wall, but is it enough? Not in Jaheem's or many other students' case.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb