Rihla 19


Advertisement
North America
February 22nd 2012
Published: February 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

What are some of the reasons that books are banned in high schools?
Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain.
The books that are banned are because parents think the books to be too sexual , foul language or provide a negative message. The books are also getting challenged because they believe the books are not age appropriate.

What reasons do you NOT agree with (this means that you think high school
students SHOULD be able to read about these topics). Why?

I think high school students should be able to read what they please without restrictions. I believe high school students know better and choosen the books they read based on their own interests. By banning the books teens are going to want to seek out the book because they would become curious on the issue and also because it is a violation of the first amendment which is freedom of speech.


Who do you think pressures teachers on what they should or shouldn't teach?
Society and parents pressure on what the teacher should teach. The reason is because if a lot of parents go to complain about how they don't like their children learning certain ideas they will not teach it upon parent request. also society because if they feel others aren't teachingit they will probbaly not want to teach the subject either to stay out of controversy.

If one wanted to fight against book censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so.
To fight against censorship of a book you could send a letter to ALAS which is an organization that helps advocate for censored books. You could also start a group tomprotest against the books being censored.

Any other additional thoughts or comments?
I feel censorship is wrong because you are not letting teens know what the real world has to offer. Having sexual content and could language is not a bad thing to be exposed of because that is what really goes on and doesn't not give any false information regarding these issues.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb