North Shore, Haleiwa, Oahu, HI


Advertisement
North America
July 6th 2011
Published: July 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Note: For video, copy/paste URL into browser address and hit enter.
To view more pictures, click on a single picture and a picture browser will appear.

Day 5 found me once again lined up at Ted's Bakery (5 miles down the road) salivating like Pavlov's dog but instead of the Pavlov's bell ringing to make the dog salivate, it was the much anticipated unlocking of the front door that made me salivate! I purchased breakfast croissants once again, freshly baked, and brought them back to the house so that we could load their cargo up (scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese.) After breakfast we headed to beautiful Waimea Bay for the annual SUP board racing on the 4th of July. Waimea is our favorite destination for the 3 S's.. sun, sand and snorkeling. You can see a short video of the day's events here: http://vimeo.com/26017812
The kids swam with a large turtle just to the left of "The Rock" in the crystal clear water of Waimea. Naturally experiences like this will last them a lifetime of great memories of Waimea.

After returning to the house at 1pm, most of us were just too pooped out to do anything else except relax in lawn chair with a cold refreshment. Later in the evening we drove down Haleiwa to enjoy the best pizza on the island at Pizza Bob's, and then off to Turtle Bay Resort to watch the fireworks but arrived too late to find parking inside the resort, so we watched the fireworks from the side of Kam Highway with hundreds of other onlookers.

Day 6 routed our group of 6 to a 2 hour Stand up Paddle board lesson with Rainbow watersports in Haleiwa. Jody and Rollin were our group instructors and were wonderful people! The owner, Heidi, came out to greet us farewell on our adventure as well. What a wonderful group of people!

After a 'land lesson' at Haleiwa state park, we headed up the river where we enjoyed yet again more turtles swimming near boards! This was such a wonderful experience that we have decided to rent two SUP boards beginning Thur/Fri/Sat this week .

Our final short trip on day 6 was to Giovinni's shrimp truck for fresh uncooked shrimp which we brought home, and prepared on the grill along with rice. 3 lbs were quickly consumed by all! The cost of uncooked shrimp from Giovinni's shrimp truck was $15 per lb or $22 per lb for the marinated version. I am sure it is cheaper elsewhere on the island, but the convenience of the truck within 10 miles of our home was worth the extra price on the shrimp!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb