Arrival - the journey to Chichen Itza


Advertisement
North America
June 5th 2011
Published: June 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As we race to the gate and be told that the plane has already left one small tear escapes betraying just how tired I feel - but the beauty of being experienced travelers is that you take a moment to berate yourself for not being pushy or bold enough to jump to the head of the immigration cue, wish you had told the customs lady you didn't want to "forma" (which was her way of saying go to the back of line) and then take just a moment longer to berate yourself for picking the screening security line where the man was arguing you could take 750ml on a domestic flight in Mexico, I mean your a white American I think the locals know the rules and when he asked them did he have to leave the liquor so they could drink it I hope they did because they deserve it for putting up with your bullshit. After a moment to consider all those things however you take it in your stride and appreciate the fact that you have to move on, organize a new flight, find your luggage and get a coffee because your effing tired.

In all our years of travelling it was the first time we mised any flight and we learnt alot about what to do when it does happen, we also got to see the bowels of the airport and into an area reserved for staff only as we searched for our missing backpacks. We got another flight and we got our luggage - albeit Dan had a nervous wait but thankfully a happy ending when they were reunited at Merida airport.

One small adventure with what turned out to be a 58 hour trip from Sydney to our destination in Chitzen Itza, with only 5 hours of sleep due to none on the plane. Why, I hear you say, let me tell you how I am impressed that one small child could actually cry and scream for 12 of a 13 hour flight and if you don't believe me let's just say man beside said he had 4 daughters in his younger days and he was prepared to smother the child for them if they wanted, which was a fantastic opening line for us to start a conversation and talk the time away.

Well all this and we have not touched on our day in LA but the pool and my cerveza (beer) is calling which reminds me we also have to tell you about our adventures today...not to mention our blog for our day in LA which will be called 'Cross dressing homeless man and seagulls on steroids'. I know you can't wait for that one.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb