Almost over


Advertisement
North America
August 5th 2010
Published: August 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

OK so we are nearly heading home. I am looking forwrad to my own bed I must say but we have had an intersting past week.

We came back from seeing the sights in San Fran one afternoon to find the car park area including our car taped off and about 5 cops around. There was blood on the gground and I asked what had happened. They wouldn't explain but said it wasn't a safety issue! Frankly anything that takes 5 cops and police tape seems like a safety issue. It appears someone decided to go to the 4th floor balcony of our motel and jump off. Terrible thought. Kerry was mostly pleased to see they missed our rental car by about a metre.

So we left San Francisco and drove down the costal road, heading toward LA. The scenery was spectacular and we stopped in a couple of places to take in the view. Just south of Hearst Castle we booked into a motel on the water at a place called Cambria. We drank beer and watched the sunset whilst talking to an American guy we met who works for Sunkist and travels for his work.

The next morning we did a tour of Hearst Castle, a bizzare European tribute filled with priceless art created by a guy with way too much money and a bizzare vision. Everywhere you looked from ceiling to floor to wall was covered in priceless art. Harry Potter was filmed partly in the main dining hall.

We then headed to the madness of LA. Our one mistake was not booking accomodation in Santa Monica. After driving around hearing that places were $250 plus a night and a couple of arguments later we settled on a less dodgy looking inn on the main drag. Brush with the law #2 happened that night, when a room downstairs was raided by 7 cops and a wino and some other guy were detained for about 45 minutes while the cops searched for drugs. Lets say my sleep was a little disturbed.

Next day we booked a reasonable hotel near the airport and changed locations. Today we took a bus tour of the city so Kerry could see what was happening instead of concentrating on driving. I felt like a total tourist but we got to see the main highlights of LA in a short space of time.

One more day tomorrow then we head home. There is a great mexican place across the road with unbelievably cheap happy hour including food, so we are off to try more mexican beers and food tonight.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb