San Fran


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

I had to finish quickly last time I wrote so want to add a bit more about Napa. We stayed in a great Inn/pub with micro brewery and great restaurant attached. We had been reccommended it by a kiwi friend and loved so stayed a second night.

We walked town (am easy stroll of a small place) one night and ended up in a wine bar for happy hour. There at tha bat we met Robert (French pronunciation) though an American. He was in his sixties, tanned and a bit pissed. The artist type from what we could gather. Very friendly and was happy to impart info about San Fran enthusiastically. We talked to him for a while and got a few tips on what to see and do.

The next day we met Chris at the info centre. A great guy who had been a rep for Nestle and had lived in France for 3 years. He gave us lots of info about both Napa and San Fran and we actually caught up with him in the pub that night. I hit the hay early and as Kerry is known to do, he wandered town looking for where the locals drink.

I don't know what time he cam to bed but he enthusiastically woke me to tell me he had been at a place called Susie's and met a guy called Richard who worked at a winery that his brother owned and he had lived in NZ for 3 years. His brother had worked in wine in NZ and still owned a place there. Apparently Kerry had teed up for us to go tasting at their winery (Envy) the next day.

Wondering about the validity of drunken plans we headed off the next morning. At the winery, sure enough, Kerry was greeted like a long lost pal. I tasted the spectrum at 10.30 in the morning and we duly purchsed 3 bottles and offered our hospitality to Richard and his wife who are hoping to visit NZ in the next year or so!

One thing I have really found is that people here are super freindly. Kerry has a knack as well of talking to people (I know you appear shocked!) and so we have met some great people.

We left Napa and drove through the Sonoma Valley. It has the most gorgeous Square in the middle and some great shops etc. We then hit San Fran driving in over the Golden Gate bridge. The temp here is damn cold in comparison to everywhere else. We have ridden the cable car, walked miles and miles, done Fisherman's Wharf and yesterday walked across the Golden Gate bridge. Unfortunately we can't do Alcatraz as it is booked out till next weekend. Our mistake for not booking ahead!

Last night we had dinner at the most amazing Italian restaurant. Authentic pizza and a couple of great wines. We sat at the counter and Kerry got all excited as we could watch all the goings on in the kitchen including the woodfired pizza oven which Kerry wants to build at home! Great night.

We have a last day in SF today then drive the coastal road towards LA tomorrow. We will stop somewhere on the way down but will wait to see what place takes our fancy. Must go.

I had really wanted to add photos but as am not using my own computer can't so will just have to bore you all with them when I get back!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb