DAY 2 - Maui, Hawaii


Advertisement
North America
July 15th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We woke up very early next day morning (time difference - 3 hours). We are also very hungry. Dinner was at 5:30 PM previous day. There was no food in the fridge. We opened to lanai door and stared at the Ocean for long time. We could see two islands one to the left and other straight ahead. It is Lana’I and Molokai.
I had to go to front desk to get new keys. We were planning to go to next door resort for breakfast. In the front office, the concierge requested us to come over to an introduction to Maui session and he promised there would be continental breakfast at 8:30. We all went to the orientation. Breakfast was insignificant. But Troy gave us an hour intro on things to do in Maui and how they will make all the reservations for you. They belong to Expedia.
We were still hungry and decided to eat some good breakfast in the next door resort. These are sister resorts (one is a hotel and other is a condo). We walked thru’ the Papakea properties appreciating the flowers and Koi pond inside. The resorts are connected thru’ the back way (by side of the ocean). We had nice omelettes. It was 11:30 am by the time we finished eating.
We drove to whaler’s village in Kaanapaali. It is about 10 minutes drive. There are plenty of hotels in this area and beach here is wide and open. But parking is a problem. Whaler’s village has parking, but you need to pay. If you buy any item from the shops inside, you could get the ticket validated. Worst case, we would get ice cream. (Even that can be expensive in Maui). I would say all the eatables for 25 to 30% more expensive than the mainland. Whale museum is free and very informative. After that we walked along the shore. On one side, you can see hotels. One very good thing the state of Hawaii did is to make the entire beach area public. Anybody can go to any beach. Kids could not resist going in. Luckily, we had the swim suits packed. We changed in the restroom and enjoyed the ocean.
Next stop was Lahaina. This is the old Whaling town. It is probably the only big town in Maui. There are some parking spots that free, but most charge by the hour. We parked near the Banyan tree. This is a 100 years or so old banyan tree. We walked around checking some crafts and art work displayed. We had shaved ice. This is very popular in Hawaii. You get a layer of vanilla ice and then on top, shaved ice with exotic flavors. Yummy! By 6 PM in the evening, we were near the Lahaina harbor to view the sunset. We hung around that area for 30 minutes. Sunset was nice.
Since the fridge was empty back in the condo, we decided to eat in Lahaina. There are number of eateries in this area. I had done some research and had already narrowed few places. We easily found “Penne Pasta Café”. We had to order first in the counter. They had very decent veggie pasta dishes. P1 and P2 loved their pasta. After that meal, we went to Safeway to get groceries. By the time we went to bed it was close to 10 PM. Tired but an eventful day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb