Spectacular Beauty of Waimea & Koke'e


Advertisement
North America
January 25th 2009
Published: February 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

At sunrise we are at breakfast buffet enjoying hot oatmeal and many more choices. Soon we are jouncing along on our Yellow school bus going to Hanapepe, Waimea town, Waimea Canyon, and Kalalau Overlook.

Wiamea Canyon is awesome. We can see many colors of rock (brown, black, tan), soil (red, brown, black), and forests (dark and light green, black, brown). The contours are impressive too and we can see various geological layers. The sign at the edge of the overlook area says: DANGER! Do Not go beyond this point! You are eager to obey because the ground drops right off to vertical! We enjoyed taking many pictures.


Next we drive to Koke'e State Park to have Lunch. There are many feral chickens in the park and they love to clean up all the picnickers crumbs and leftovers. Darrell actually had two roosters at his table interested in his piece of bread. After lunch, we explore the Natural History Museum and Nature Trail.


When we return to our Hotel, we rest and the Bar-Fly 5 have their usual meeting at the bar. Then we're ready for dinner buffet. Susan had a surprise for us after dinner. She
Cowboy townCowboy townCowboy town

We stop for a "bathroom break" on the way to Wiamea Canyon
taught us the hula to the Huki-lau song (which we had learned and practiced earlier). In spite of many of us feeling awkward at first, we actually had fun and enjoyed our first hula lesson. This reminded me so much of my Aunt Dolly, who danced and sang the Huki-lau Hula for my family when I was a child. My Aunt Dolly had fallen in love with Hawai'i and had made many visits to the Hawai'ian Islands. As a child, I thought my aunt was a little strange, but now I understand her love for Hawai'i.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Darrell and feral roostersDarrell and feral roosters
Darrell and feral roosters

We have lunch at Koke'e State Park
A Fan PalmA Fan Palm
A Fan Palm

We take a walk along Koke'e nature trail
smaller round pool at Aloha Beachsmaller round pool at Aloha Beach
smaller round pool at Aloha Beach

John and I go for refreshing swim


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb