The Spectacular Beauty of Hanalei


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i » Hanalei
January 26th 2009
Published: February 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning we board the bus a little earlier so we can get to the Kilauea Lighthouse National Wildlife Refuge before it opens to the public. Susan has arranged (connections )with the rangers there for our bus to enter before the park is open. When we arrive at the gate we see there are 3 cars lined up waiting to get in. We are 1/2 hour before opening time, and Susan says there will be a long line when we leave.



Two Rangers greet us with their model of the Red Footed Booby. They explain the National Wildlife Refuge and Kilauea Lighthouse point to us. We got to go inside the lighthouse ( built in 1819), but not up into the lamp area because of construction there. Then they let us wander around the refuge on our own and stayed available to answer our many questions. The Crown Jewels of Hawai'i are its birds. The view is spectacular, to say the least, and the weather was cooperative too. Perfect for us shutterbugs. Susan was right, there was a long, long line of cars waiting for the park to open. We had a wonderful uncrowded and unhurried visit.

Next we had a picnic lunch in Hanalei

We visited the Wai'oli Hui'ia United Church of Christ across the street and then went on to Wai'oli Misson and saw an historic house museum to interpret the history of missionary life on Kuai'i



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb