Skipping Winter


Advertisement
North America
December 8th 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This year we decided to skip winter in the Northland by travelling to and through Mexico and Central America. We talked about flying someplace cheap and then backpacking around from place to place. We talked about about buying an RV or a camper for Chuck's truck. In the end we bought a green van; the Ghetto Bus!

We had a Thanksgiving Birthday dinner with family in Hibbing and then started our journey south. Our van is a 1995 GMC Vandura 2500 and when we started our trip south it had 95,000 miles on the odometer. The first half of the first week winter tried to trap us in the Northland. We had wintery weather from Hibbing to Arkansas. We stopped in Joliet and New Lenox, Illinois to visit my cousin Jammie and my Dad. We stopped by the family farm in Crooked Creek Township (Southern Illinois) to surprise my Grama on her birthday. We camped at the Diamond Crater State Park in Arkansas for one night to search for diamonds; all we found were some rocks for our garden. From Arkansas we drove on to Ma's house in Grand Prairie, Texas for the weekend. Saturday we went to the Fort Worth Stock Yards where Chuck was in an Armadillo race and we watched a Longhorn cattle drive and a parade, and we did a tasting of Texas wines. We also had too many drinks dancing and listening to music with Ma, my baby brother Roger Evan and his new girlfriend Nicole. Sunday we all went out to Trader's Village where me and Ma bought matching orange cowgirl hats; I love it!

Well it is Monday morning and today we make the 10 hour drive to the border.

Onward forth yonder!

Advertisement



14th December 2008

Armadillo race
Hold the phone! Do you got pictures of this Armadillo race!?!? That's a must see!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1018kb