Going to Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Tamaulipas
December 11th 2008
Published: December 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left Dallas the morning of Monday, December 8th. Drove to South Padre Island for the night; we figured a tourist area would be the best spot to spend the night along the border, and it is only a twenty minute drive to the border from South Padre. We stayed at the KOA, not a bad spot, weather was great, the only bad point was that the showers here do not have hot water, not even cold, in fact very much ICE COLD!

Crossing the border into Mexico wasn't bad at all. No lines. All of the people were friendly and helpful. Only one wrong turn in Matamoros and only one "almost" accident when Leila forgot to stop for the stop sign.

North half of Tamaulipas (the Mexican state that borders Texas) was very flat farmland. Southern half of Tamaulipas is very scenic and nice to drive. Lots of hills and lush green landscape views. We made it to Madero Tuesday afternoon.

Madero is a coastal town next to Tampico. Madero was quite confusing to drive around and we got lost alot! We made it to the beach and decided to camp out in our van next to the water for the night. Well sometime late in the night or very early in the morning Chuck woke up with his ears and mouth full of sand. Our tranquil evening by the beach transitioned to a massive sand storm sometime after we fell asleep. We closed all of the windows and went back to sleep. In the morning we awoke to piles of sand throughout the inside of our van. Outside of the van were sand drifts about a foot tall and nearly all of the porta pottys upside down, turned over and blown down the rode; fortunately none of the porta pottys hit our van and we were able to drive over the sand drifts.

Wednesday, December 10th we made it to the ruins of El Tajin and the town of Papantla for the night (more about that later). Tomorrow we will head more inland towards Oaxaca ( a couple of days drive ).



Advertisement



11th December 2008

Pictures
Add pictures please. Bienvenida a Mexico
20th December 2008

Armadillo Race
Let everyone see Chuck racing his armadillo. He had to blow on the tail to make it move, or as he said blow up his ???. Only in Texas. Love Ya, MOM
24th December 2008

Good thing Chuck wasn't in the Porta Potty

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb