Cuota from Tehuacan to Oaxaca


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca
December 13th 2008
Published: December 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cuota to Oaxaca:

We drove from Papantla to Oaxaca on Thursday, December 11th. The drive was almost entirely along mountain roads. Chuck drove so Leila was able to take pictures along the way. It took about ten hours.
We stopped for lunch in a little mountain village called Atzalan. The town was beautiful, as were all of the people we talked with. Lunch was great; we had about four tacos each and an orange drink for roughly $4 US.

At Tehuacan, the valley where corn originated, we drove the toll road to Oaxaca City. We arrived to Oaxaca about 6 PM. By about 8 PM we found a place to stay along Highway 190, which runs through the city. We decided on Hotel Veracruz, nice place with secure parking and a restaurant for $55. The water at Hotel Veracruz was nice and hot, just like home.

Friday, December 12th we planned to check out the local camp sites - RV parks. Three are advertised online. All claim to be full service with easy access, water, laundry, electricity. After an entire day in the van trying to locate these places, not an easy task, we returned to Hotel Veracruz. The campsite within the city of Oaxaca, called Oaxaca Park, is easily accessible, but not full service. Oaxaca Park is currently being built over and what remains is very much dilapidated. San Felipe del Agua Trailer Park cannot be reached by telephone and it is, well, impossible to locate; so much for accessibility. The last was full, so we cannot comment.

Oaxaca City is overcrowded and congested. The roads here are terribly confusing since nearly none of them are marked. Between bouts of anger and frustration I had the U2 song “Where the Streets Have No Names” continuing over and over in my mind.

We returned to Hotel Veracruz. From here we will get some laundry done and walk around town for a day. Then we are off to the ruins of Mitla and Monte Alban and south to the Pacific Coast.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



14th December 2008

Minnesota happenings
Hi guys, Chuckie cut his arm the day you guys left, I'm taking out his 25+ stitches tomorrow and his still has all his limbs so all is well there LOL! Ben and Kirsten miss you both, and their mom. I stopped at the apartment the other day and they jumped in my arms with questions: where's my mom? where's my gram-ma Leila? where's my gram-pa? We played, I tucked them in, and checked Chuckie's arm for gangrene - just kidding. In Hibbing, we are in the midst of a blizzard with up to 14" of snow. School's likely to be closed tomorrow which means Jim gets to stay home and I have to take the Jeep to the psych ward. The Rents are coming over Wed. for Gma's Taco's to celebrate Jim's birthday, we're inviting Chuckie, Dani and all too. Love the photos! Safe Travels! Marmie

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb