Day 2...


Advertisement
North America
July 22nd 2008
Published: July 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Rest StopRest StopRest Stop

At the rest stop in Davenport, IA
We left Fremont, (Indiana) at 7:00 a.m....didn't get a chance to do the winery's. Dad wanted to drive so he started out the day. However I didn't think about where we were headed (basically Chicago) and the fact that he'd be running into some heavier traffic which he is not used to driving in, especially since he had never driven my van!!! The weather was great when we left and we cruised though Indiana pretty quickly. We did see on the morning news though that there was a good sized storm cell moving into the Chicago area and wouldn't you know it..we ran into it, though on the back side of it. So that made Dad even more nervous and by that time it was nearly 9:30 a.m. so I suggested that we just find somewhere and have breakfast and wait the storm out.

So we found a Cracker Barrel sign and got off on the exit..but couldn't find the thing! It was not your normal one that is easily accessible and very visible...this one was buried behind an apartment complex and if it hadn't been for my GPS, we'd still be there trying to find it!! After breakfast then, I took over driving since I am more used to driving in those conditions. It was about 10:30 when we left, but then we realized we were now in the Central time zone, so we actually lost an hour and it was only 9:30!! Wow..this is fun! Going back in time!

The rest of the drive through Illinois went pretty well. The skies cleared and we enjoyed looking at the beautiful expanses of farmland! We got into Iowa and stopped at a very nice rest stop around the Davenport area and took a nice break there. Got a group picture of the other 4 that I'll try to post. I think we stopped at a total of 4 rest stops in Iowa for various reason, but we were really not in any real hurry so we didn't care. We finally got to Des Moine sometime around 4:00, then headed north on I-35 as Dad and I kind of sorted though the various routes last night and decided this was probably the best way to go. Iowa is also obviously full of beautiful farms..they go on forever! I thought about Carolyn Hasbrook as we drove through there and thought it
placqueplacqueplacque

I found this at the rest stop in Des Moine
would have been fun to just drop in on her!

The other thing that was surprising was the huge wind farms that they had there, especially north of Ames. I got some pictures of them after Dad took over driving duties again in the late afternoon. We finally got to I-90 in Minnesota a bit before 6:00 pm (central time!!) and the boys were complaining about being hungry. We drove for a while though and then started looking for a place to eat..finally did find a family style restaurant (in nearly a repeat performance of how we found the Cracker Barrel in the a.m.!) and ate. Thomas just finished his last bite though and said "I think I'm going to be sick!" so I told him he'd better get to the bathroom..but he didn't make it! What a mess! I was so embarrassed, though there wasn't much he could do to help it.

From there then we stopped at a Kmart to get Cathy something she needed, then got back on the road to look for a motel. So, here we are for the night in Jackson, Minnesota. I didn't look at the actual mileage that we put
Wind FarmWind FarmWind Farm

Here are some of the wind mills that we saw
in for the day, but it had to be close to another 600-700 miles! We should be able to make it to Rapid City tomorrow!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

For Jean...For Jean...
For Jean...

Saw this and many other similar green & yellow things on the road but this was the only one we could get a picture of! :)
Welcome..Welcome..
Welcome..

It's a little blurry..but what can you expect when you try to take a picture moving at 75 mph!! It's the welcome at the Minnesota border.


22nd July 2008

Hope Thomas is feeling better
You know you should have taken the ECAHS directory with you and stopped and visited on the way - Carolyn would have been happy to see you all and they're in Ames somewhere or just near there, aren't they? Less driving, more sightseeing LOL!

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb