festival blog


Advertisement
North America
August 21st 2007
Published: August 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The reader must understand that all descriptions of festivals hitherto have been written in retrospect. Specifically, they have been written on a sweaty 9 hour bus ride from Edinburgh to London. It’s natural then, for the romantic memories of a sweet Saskatchewan Summer to be somewhat fantastical and infused with nostalgia.

It is also important to note that there are times during the summer months when my friends and I are not at festivals. These times are filled with bike rides, ultimate Frisbee games, potluck suppers, greasy breakfasts and free swims at Wascana Pool. This being said, festivals mark the high tides of summer each year, and so are helpful in framing any adequate description of the greatest two months known anywhere on earth. Here are a few snippets...

Cathedral Village Arts Festival- Nerd Rock garage bands and local rappers find new fans in the very young and the elderly, as they rock the stage on 13th avenue which marks the end of the street fair where vendors hawk their wares. In a park nearby, a puppet parade is about to begin, where a 20 foot clown hovers above smaller, but equally creative creatures. The hippy and feral children of Fada Dance take the stage and wow audiences with their lack of form and process over product antics. The sense of community is strong here.

Winnipeg Folk Festival- The sun threatened to peak its head above the horizon, signalling for some, the end of a night of wild revelry. I sat on Popes Hill watching the field of people below. People in elaborate glow in the dark costumes danced around scattered heaps of sleeping campers, as friends played with a glow in the dark Frisbee. The drum circle behind me roared as loudly as ever. On never wants this kind of fun to end, and so when propositioned to be a part of a fellowship to the beach, I accepted the mission gratefully. We would sleep soon, sigh, but we would wake up on the shores of a beautiful lake. Once again the positive energy with unparallel scale overwhelmed me and transformed me into the carefree dirty, sockless and deeply passionate child that must dwell inside my business casual no nonsense facade.

Ness Creek Festival- Nestled deep within the woods of Northern Saskatchewan, the hippies and tree planters gather. Together they make beautiful music, cook sweet meals in a communal kitchen, and spend their afternoons at the beach playing dive ball and eating Rollo ice-cream. This year was no different. Thank you Ness creek for existing.
Connect- When aliens recently stumbled upon this electronic music festival they went completely unnoticed, for they were not among the strangest looking spectacles wondering the grounds of bird’s hill campground. Upon return home they made the following observations about humanity:
These creatures have certain bits which glow in the dark. They seem to become entranced by deep pounding sounds emitted from black boxes. Something horrific must have happened in the not too distant past. Social organisation and rule of law appear to have disintegrated into total anarchy. This event seems to have thrown many into a strange altered state of consciousness and the expressions of the state vary. They live in Shanty towns within proximity to the pounding. They don’t sleep and no one appears to work. It is clear that this society will cease to exist as this anarchy, though peaceful, is unsustainable. Soon, the Earth will be ours.

Regina Folk Festival- This seems to be where summer reaches its lofty plateau making hard goodbyes harder.
It had already been a momentous festival when Blue Rodeo took the stage. Melanie Rose ran throughout the crowd handing out sheaves of wheat to sway. As the band began to play their mix of classic Alt Country and familiar Canadiana, I looked out across the crowd to see only familiar faces. I was to fly out the next morning to England, and the realization that I was to leave this amazing town once more had the most unusual effect on me. Tear ducts that had long been dormant began to pump out tears. It seems that when long dormant ducts begin to work they often have trouble shutting off.
So I sat against a fence, listening to Blue Rodeo with a Sheave of wheat in my lap. Dennie found me and together we cried and cried and cried. So long sweet summer.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The FamThe Fam
The Fam

My Dad, Grandma and Me at Regina Folk Fest


22nd August 2007

Wow--that was a beautiful entry-and so summer Canada love. Hold on to it tight while away as it doesn't ever change I've learned. Something special. Miss you.

Tot: 0.421s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 19; qc: 81; dbt: 0.252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb