Calgary Parklands: Botanical Gardens of Silver Springs


Advertisement
North America
August 12th 2020
Published: October 16th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Hidden by the green-belts along Crowchild Trail and Silver Springs Gate is the almost miraculous community project of the Botanical Gardens of Silver Springs. There are a lot of determined, persistent gardeners in the neighbourhood.

We entered from the south into a broad treed and grassy expanse beside the tennis courts, giving the pleasant sound of the ball bouncing to take over from traffic noise. In the woodland setting, special flower gardens are named.

The Oak Grove first entices with the classic leaves on oak trees along the pathway and then invites walkers to rest a while at the picnic tables. The Oval Garden catches attention with multitudes of showy blooms, carefully planted to look like an English country garden. More restrained is the Shade Garden, which nevertheless draws the eye to modest dark-red leaves and tiny flowers. Shining in a patch of incidental sun was a perfect, pale orange rose.

Further on in a clearing, dark purple clematis and bright pink geraniums led us through a series of arches to a labyrinth described by paving stones and creeping thyme. Surprising to me was the Fruit Grove, with tiny apples on a thriving tree.

Climbing upwards and within sight of Crowchild Trail were the dryland gardens. In the Alpine Crevice and Native Plants Garden, a constructed rock “hill” was stuffed with quite small plants adorned by jewel flowers. Nearby in the Swan Garden, bees were hurriedly sampling every bloom, small and large. Their buzzing accompanied us up a long path on the quiet side of a noise barrier where hardy flowering plants softened the concrete and helped the bees make delicious honey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Oak leaves Oak leaves
Oak leaves

Fairly rare in Calgary
Oval Garden Oval Garden
Oval Garden

Graceful entrance to the Gardens
Cheeky sculpture  Cheeky sculpture
Cheeky sculpture

Shade Garden
Lillies Lillies
Lillies

Boastful colour!
Swan Garden Swan Garden
Swan Garden

The swans are in your imagination.
Labyrinth Labyrinth
Labyrinth

A summer walk with thought
Rose GardenRose Garden
Rose Garden

Hunter Rose enlargement
Low Water garden Low Water garden
Low Water garden

Lushness of the dry climate


16th October 2020

Good heavens
Another new-to-me garden - and an impressive one at that. In the scheme of things, this is close to where Mom & Dad lived, of course. I'll add it to my list for my next non-winter trip to Calgary, whenever that might be. Thanks!
24th October 2020

New-to-me Gardens
At least you have the very reasonable excuse of not living here.
19th October 2020

Beautiful photos
Thanks for the lovely photos, Judith. You have captured the essence of these beautiful gardens. Another favourite section of mine is the Shakespeare garden with excerpts from his verses to go with the various plants and flowers. A wonderful spot for a walk in all seasons.
24th October 2020

Beautiful Gardens
Thank you. I am so glad I was introduced to these gardens.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb