Back to the Beach - This Time to Camp


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 12th 2017
Published: July 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We slept in a little. Then we got up and ready to travel again. The day was warm to start. It is amazing the difference between the sun and the shade here.

First we stopped for Alex to drop a bomb at the dump station. (check out the picture) The next stop, Fresno, Ca.



Alex wanted to visit an infamous junk yard, as see n on TV, auto salvage yard. It was 100 acres of cars. We started in the 20 acre lot. Saw some old vehicles. We were doing pretty good. Next we headed to the larger lot. Once we got past all of the parts, we were able to see the cars. Alex was in heaven. The girls not so much. It was hot, close to 100 and no shade. It was dry and dusty to the point that when we took off our shoes the dust had made it through the shoes and socks and we had very dirty feet.



On the road again, headed for the beach. We had a fast lunch at the rest stop because it was so hot. We had some traffic, OK a lot of traffic. We headed around LA. We were hoping to see the Hollywood sign but missed it. It was too much traffic to turn around.



We got to the beach camping. We were on a ridge above the ocean. We quickly set up and headed for the beach. It was ½ mile trek down the canyon to the beach. The beach was not a groomed beach so had a little bit of sand then rocks. We stood at the edge to get our feet wet but the rocks rolling in hurt your feet. The noise of the rocks as the waves rushed back out to sea was a mixture of sizzling and a snare drum on a fast roll. Grace really wanted to be in the ocean. She was getting more daring. Then a large waved came in and rolled her slightly. That was enough! She was done with the beach. We did spend some time rock collecting. Grace has a bag of rocks to take home.



It was getting dark and we had not had dinner so we headed back up the canyon. We had leftovers for dinner. We used the microwave for as long as we had gas for the generator but then we had to cook the rest on the stove.





It was a warm night sleeping and there was noise from the train. Grace got up in the middle of the night and moved to sleep on the floor in the living/dining room in search of cooler temperatures. We are headed to the San Diego zoo tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb