The Importance of Checking Your Credit Score


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
June 11th 2017
Published: June 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Are you on the verge of getting a new home? Do you need money to buy a new vehicle? Do you need money to pay for home maintenance and repairs? Getting a loan has become a part of life as people are willing to pay interest for loans taken. On an average, almost all people are working and are earning well. However due to circumstances, some falter in making payments and get into debt traps. It is important for all people to keep track of their credit scores frequently to avoid such debt traps. If I require loan and I need to go to a financial institution or a bank to get a loan, the first thing that they refer to, is my credit score. If I check my credit score frequently, I will be able to keep a check on how my financial standing is and will make arrangements to improve my credit score.

Scoring

Credit score are three digit numbers that range between 300 and 850 which show how the credit standing of a person is. If you are near the lower range of the credit score, it is time you took some drastic measures to improve your credit score. Credit score are generally based on the payment history, the duration of your credit payments, the type of credit availed, fresh credit applications, etc. Out of these, the past credit history and the repayment of the credit are most important. Credit scores help to determine if your loan will be sanctioned and to determine the interest rate that may be charged. Hence keeping track of your credit score on a monthly basis is most essential to improve your credit standing.

Credit

With trade expanding at gigantic proportions on a global level, almost all types of businessmen are dealing with exports and imports, which require heavy investments. However, all transactions cannot be done by cash payments and most of them require credit payment and credit sale. With credit becoming the backbone of trade, it is most essential that businessmen make sure that they make payments properly and pay their monthly dues promptly. The credit score is the best measure that shows whether credit is being repaid properly, as it fluctuates with the payment. If payments are made on time, the credit score remains good. If payments are not made on time, credit score slides down and reflects the non-payment of the loans. Doing business through credit transactions has become the norm of the day, but keeping track of the credit payments is necessary. Credit scores reflect the credit payment of the borrower to know where he stands personally. As a businessman, you can know where your business stands, by keeping a constant check on your credit score.

Impact on Loans

Credit scores play an important role in sanctioning the loan and in determining the interest rates. A good credit score implies that many banks will be willing to lend loans, at a reasonable rate of interest. However if your credit score is bad, established institutions will refuse to sanction the loan and will reject the loan, claiming that the credit score is poor or bad. In such circumstances, you will have to go to other lenders who are willing to give credit to such poor and bad credit scores but at a high interest. If you are in need of a loan, your first step is to keep track of your credit score so that you can get loans easily and at reasonable rates. Getting loans is easy, but with good credit scores, you can get loans at lower rate of interest by which you can repay the loan in no time.

Standard of Living

If you keep a constant check on our credit score, you realize where your credit standing is at. If your credit score is improving, then, it is a good sign that you are doing well. Soon you can improve on your credit score and you can come out of all credits. However, if your credit score is slowly decreasing, it shows that your financial position is weakening. Immediately, you can take instant steps to change your living standards. The first step will be to spending frugally and setting away most of your income towards repayment of loan. Another step will be to avoid any lavish expenditure, such as going on vacations, spending on unnecessary purchases and avoiding unnecessary usage of credit cards. Still further, you can try to make use of your jewelry or other assets to repay the loan and avoid unnecessary payment of high interests. These are just a few temporary measures that can be resolved, once your loan is paid back and then you can sit back and relax and start spending wisely. Unnecessary habits such as drinking and gambling are some evils that wipe away the income of the family and put the entire family in debt. Hence, such habits must also be given up to come out of debt traps.

Clerical Errors

As credit scores are maintained by credit bureaus, there are chances of clerical errors occurring. There are also chances that wrong data are fed into the computer, by which the credit scores are impacted. Sometimes there are chances of theft of Social Security numbers and other personal information which may result in your credit card being misused by fraudulent people. Hence, a constant check on the credit score is necessary to check if the credit score is fluctuating. Such errors and theft are shown first on the credit score. Hence it is wise for you to keep a constant check on your credit score.

If I keep a regular check on my credit score, it is going to be useful to me in the long run. You can also refer to Credit Sesame to know about the importance of checking your credit score. As I am responsible for my financial position, it is my personal financial safety at stake that can be protected through a monthly check on my credit score.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb