Kentucky to Orlando


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
April 10th 2015
Published: April 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The last 10 days has taken to us a number of exciting and buzzing towns, to date, some of our favourites. Still with some natural beauty, but more about the culture, history and people.
While in Kentucky we visited Mammouth Cave, which is the longest known cave in the world- some 400 miles long that they know of. The same day we indulged in some samples and a guided tour around the Jim Beam Stillhouse which has just produced it's 13 millionth barrel! Cool hey? We headed south through Tennesee, to return at a later stage for the JD distillery and into Virginia to a place called Greenville in South Carolina, another buzzing place. Through the centre of the town is a park approximately 26 acres, that has delightful bridges and an abundance of flower and gardens...it really feels like Spring has arrived now. While in South Carolina, we visited Drayton Hall, which in it's hey day was a rice plantation with up to 45 enslaved people living and working there, in no doubt horrendous conditions. It is the best preserved plantation house in the US. Since heading down into the South, we are constantly reminded of the History that evolved the "United States", which of course is the Civil War and slavery.
We visited Savannah and St Augustine, both places with a rich history of Pirates. Blackbeard a.k.a Edward Teach pillaged and plundered in Savannah and we met real life pirates Kegger and Stein in St Augustine. We also spent many an hour listening to pirate tales and enjoying the variety of live music that Mia Casa and St Augustine has to offer. St Augustine is the oldest City in America, turning 450 this year, with of course the first ever school house. The feeling of the town was indescribable, just something about it that we loved. So for now " me hearties" we wish you good health and hope that the wind forever be at your back...arrrr!



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



10th April 2015

Looks absolutely Fabulous
Not many shots of food this time :( looks like a great time xxx
13th April 2015

Gidday from WA
Hi Jen and Dan. What an amazing trip you are having. Love the updates. All is well here. One more week of hols then back into it. Those toffee apples look amazing and fattening!! Great photos. Looks lik the weather is warming up. Stay safe. Lve you guys.
14th April 2015

Loving your trip, feel like I'm going with you :)
Hey Jen and Dan. I'm so grateful you have shared your trip with me. I really feel like I'm exploring these places, albeit through photos. Keep them coming. Gav wants to do America next, and your pics are really convincing me :). Big hugs and miss you heaps. xx

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb