Alaska Cruising


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
August 4th 2014
Published: August 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

There is no sense of motion on this cruise. Except for the scenery gliding by the porthole we could be at dock. No ripples or wavelets disturb the waters. It is a bit weird. We have breakfast in the dining room and prepare for today's adventure, cruising by Hubbard Glacier.



Hubbard is known as the "Galloping Glacier" as it is increasing in size rather than receding. We are told it is moving at a rate of four feet a day. Some scientists claim it's closer to twenty. Seems to me that this is an empirical fact and they should be able to measure it accurately. On the other hand the narrator was reading from a script and maybe someone substituted day for year.



In any case we are blessed with a brilliant blue sky and after putting on our longies and layering we walk to the bow where it is warm as a summer day. We were fortunate to be here for a calving. It is a treat to see the ice wall fall into the sea and create a wave. Three seals were beached on a berg bit enjoying the sun. There is a line of demarcation clearly visible in the water. Near the glacier and out about a third of a mile the glacial silt is clear in the light grey water. Abruptly the silt settles to the bottom and the water turns the blue of the bay. A flock of terns and gulls are wheeling around looking for food. Because of the fine conditions the Captain stays for an hour and a half. He declares that this has been the best viewing of the season. We are truly blessed.



Tonight is formal night and we are beautifully dressed, perhaps the best dressed group on board. The men look very handsome in their suits, Ann is always lovely, ML as well and I cleaned up rather well if I do say so.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb