RIHILA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
February 22nd 2012
Published: February 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

What are some of the reasons that books are banned in high schools? Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain. Some books are banned because they contain topics that involve too much violence, sexuality, or religion. I don't agree with the reasons why they are banning books because I feel by banning books they are keeping students from learning about the real world or things that happened in history. What reasons do you NOT agree with (this means that you think high school students SHOULD be able to read about these topics). Why? I do not agree with banning books based off these topics because, For example, one of the banned ubooks was diary of Anne frank and that was a story about a girl who lived during the nazi time period and it was all about what she experienced and how things worked at that time for the Jews. I feel this is a book that shouldn't be banned because its about what happened in history that we learn about in class anyways so why not connect to literature. It's like banning history books. Who do you think pressures teachers on what they should or shouldn't teach? I think the principle pressures teachers on what they should teach and not teach in their school. In general though teachers are taught what to teach and what not to teach during their training. If one wanted to fight against book censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so. One way they could do it is by visiting the websites on the back of the article we had to read, or someone could write a letter and peacefully protest about our freedom of choice to read what we want. Any other additional thoughts or comments? I alway felt that banning books was pointless because why hid things from your kids? Things that they could learn from, like the mistakes people do in books.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb