Westward Bound Spring 2011


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 1st 2011
Published: June 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Heading to Texas was a bit uneventful, which was a good thing, since we skirted some stormy weather on the way. Dan took Diane to the shooting range, where she tried out his 36 caliber handgun--a bit more powerful than the 22 she was using.

Dan and Megan are getting married in May 2012, and we were so excited to share their plans. We cooked shrimp and grits for them, went out for some Texas BBQ, and had dinner with Megan’s mom, too. Soon it was time to say goodbye, and we headed to Sedona, Arizona for a timeshare exchange family reunion with Alan and his family.

On the way there, we overnighted at a Texas rest stop, a New Mexico casino, and an Arizona rest stop.
Between New Mexico and Sedona, we encountered some really weird weather. First, a huge dust storm on Interstate 40, where we saw a double trailer turned over on its side….then at the Arizona rest stop on I-17, an overnight snow storm, where we woke up to a surprise outside the window.

Sedona was lovely, but chilly, dusted with snow the first day we got there. It did warm up a bit, and we spent lots of time playing cards and games, cooking together, and taking in the local sights. We spent a day at the Grand Canyon, a first-time visit for Tom, Joyce, Carol, and Ted.

Since our plan was to return to Alaska for the summer, we headed west to Nevada to enjoy the sunshine for a while before heading north.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Blooming ChollaBlooming Cholla
Blooming Cholla

With snow melting on the blossoms
Alan, Carol, TomAlan, Carol, Tom
Alan, Carol, Tom

At Oak Creek Canyon
Canyon ViewCanyon View
Canyon View

Never gets old.....
Montezuma's CastleMontezuma's Castle
Montezuma's Castle

Ancient cliff dwelling near Sedona


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb