A Bump in the Road - Literally


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
June 1st 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

June 1, 2010 - God is good...all the time. All the time...God is good! The photos below will tell the story better than I can. (note: we only have one bar and the photos won't load so we'll attach them later when we have a stronger signal)
A spring that attaches to the axle of the camper tire broke into two pieces as we were moving down the highway "in the middle of nowhere" otherwise affectionately known as Orin Junction, Wyoming. It felt like a tire had blown out. Obviously we were a little anxious about what this would do to our vacation. At the same time, we were thankful that we weren't hurt and hopeful that we'd find the help we needed at that moment. There's no doubt we were blessed in many ways through this bit of adversity. For one, there was a gas station less than 2 miles from where we had to abandon the camper on the side of the road. (Trust me when I say this was a sort of miracle because you can travel over 100 miles in this state without seeing a house, much less a gas station.) Second, after multiple unsuccessful attempts to make calls, we were able to get a strong enough signal to place a call for a tow truck. We also remembered that the dealership where we bought our camper gave us a business card with information about Route 66 RV dealerships which are authorized to work on Rockwood campers. Well, tell me it was just dumb luck that there is only ONE in the whole state of Wyoming and it was less than 55 miles from where we were downed. Guess where? In the city of Evansville, WY. Yes, God, we hear you and thank you for answered prayers. We walked in the door at Sonny's RV and had the nicest guy greet us and take charge. He was on the phone with other local businesses trying to find the part that we needed. After taking digital photos and sending them to someone across town, he found a pair of springs that would work and got the boys in the shop moving right away. Unreal, isn't it?! We were on the road about 5 hours later and pushed through to Colter Bay, our destination. It was dark by the time we hit the Tetons so all we could see was the black of the road, the dark pines and hills off to the sides, and patches of snow and ice as we traveled. It was both thrilling and terrifying. The rangers at the park knew we were going to be late so they left our registration info taped to the check-in station door. Bless Jim's heart, he set the camper up in the rain after a very long and trying day...and we fell into bed around midnight.

Say a little prayer of thanksgiving for our safe arrival and thanks for your comments on the blog site. -K

Advertisement



3rd June 2010

vacation
Guys this sounds like one of our vacations. Exxxxxxxxcept Uncle Leonard would be saying I can fix it just let me take the box " springs " apart. We will be on the road in no time. Prayers will contiue to follow you. Love Aunt Judy
3rd June 2010

God IS good!
Oh man! This was quite a day! Evansville, WY!! Seriously! That is way to weird for words!!I'm so happy it all worked out and that you made it to your destination without a much longer delay. Can't wait to hear the next installment. (P/S You don't even want to know about tonight's game.... TRUST ME!)
5th June 2010

I got this message and the one about Yellowstone today. What an adventure you are having. Jack likes to sleep at the foot of my bed. He has been real good. ove you all........Mom MiMi

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb